Mobile menu

Jumping to certain rows in Word table
Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:24
English to German
+ ...
Oct 24, 2006

I received a large Word document from my client. Bascially, the target and source text are inside a table, along with some comments.

Most of the document has already been translated, so there are a lot of 100% matches which should remain unchanged. My client highlighted those in grey.

I am only supposed to proofread rows that have been newly translated. These are not marked in any special way, i.e. their background is white.

I was wondering if there is a way to create a short macro that enables me to jump to non-grey rows only, and assign a shortcut to it.

I have already tried to search for the background colour, but that didn't do the trick.

Any help appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote
Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Send me a part of this file. Oct 24, 2006

I think I can write such macro.

Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:24
English to Greek
+ ...
sounds interesting robert Oct 25, 2006

Do you think you could share this? It is something that has plagued me in the past - it would be greatly appreciated!

Tony M  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Try this... Oct 25, 2006

If you don't need to refer to the redundant text, can you get away with simply deleting the unwanted lines? If so, you could try this:

1) Make a working copy of the document so as to leave the original intact!

2) If searching for the background colour didn't work, maybe it wasn't actually a background, but rather a highlight, as many of my clients use. In this case, you can 'search and replace' (with nothing) on 'any character' + highlighted

That should leave you just the UNhighlighted parts of the doc.

If you really HAVE to put back the text afterwards, you could do worse than try this:

Do 1) as above

then turn ON 'track changes'

then do 2) as above

then turn OFF 'track changes'

Edit your document as necessary

When finished, turn 'track changes' back ON, and then select 'reject all changes' (or whatever the actual wording is in your version of Word), which should reinstate the originally deleted text.

Best of luck — I'm always getting lumbered with these irritating sort of files!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jumping to certain rows in Word table

Advanced search PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs