Unable to turn off spell check in Word 2003
Thread poster: Olga S (X)
Olga S (X)
Olga S (X)
Local time: 10:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 6, 2006

When I am editing a large file, over 100 pages long, Word slows down very considerably (it takes up to 3 seconds for a typed letter to appear) because of spell checking. To avoid this, I turned off spell checking and grammar checking in Options. But performance remains slow and spellchecking still continues, I can see that by the little book with a pencil on the status bar at the bottom although the words are no longer marked with red and green lines. The behavoir of this little book appears to ... See more
When I am editing a large file, over 100 pages long, Word slows down very considerably (it takes up to 3 seconds for a typed letter to appear) because of spell checking. To avoid this, I turned off spell checking and grammar checking in Options. But performance remains slow and spellchecking still continues, I can see that by the little book with a pencil on the status bar at the bottom although the words are no longer marked with red and green lines. The behavoir of this little book appears to be synchrinized with CPU usage percentage.
How can I turn off spell checking?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-11-06 09:46]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Have you tried... Nov 6, 2006

Modify/Select all, then in tools/language panel tick "do not carry out spellcheck"?

(can't remember what the names of Word functions are in English, but I hope this is clear enough)

If that doesn't work, then I can't help, sorry.

Angeliki Papadopoulou
Angeliki Papadopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 11:45
English to Greek
+ ...
...it worked for me! Nov 6, 2006

Thanks Marie Helene, I tried your suggestion and it worked

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to turn off spell check in Word 2003

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »