How to type a truly dotted underline in Word
Thread poster: Reed James
mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 03:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
How to re-use the exact style and formatting of the source document Nov 7, 2006

Anyone sharing Reed's passion for exact look-alike translations of official documents - certificates in particular - who regularly has a requirement to translate such documents from the same source, it might find it worthwhile doing the job 'properly'.

The steps:

A Scan a good clear original certificate.

B Using a graphics program, blank out all
... See more
Anyone sharing Reed's passion for exact look-alike translations of official documents - certificates in particular - who regularly has a requirement to translate such documents from the same source, it might find it worthwhile doing the job 'properly'.

The steps:

A Scan a good clear original certificate.

B Using a graphics program, blank out all the variable data and insert text blocks over static texts that you wish to translate, thus creating a complete empty form (including those famous dotted lines) in the target language.

C Build a database table, in Access for example, to receive the variable data.

D Build a database report having the empty translated certificate as an image background, and a set of suitably-formatted text boxes to receive the variable data from the data table.

E To translate a look-alike translation, enter the data into the table (directly, or via a simple data entry form) and print the complete pre-formatted report.

It's probably about an hour's work the first time - but thereafter you'll be delivering 'perfect' translations as fast as you can enter the data. 5 minutes max per certificate!

That said, there are some risks here. You will probably not want to go too far with the look-alike policy. In Chile, for example, there are two forms of birth certificate: those you get in person from the Civil Registry, printed on special sequentially-numbered and bar-coded fan-fold paper, and those you get via the Internet, delivered as PDF files with a built-in digital signature (which is of course different on every certificate delivered this way, even if they actually refer to the same event).

The former have a couple of rubber stamps and the signature of the registry employee - these should normally not be reproduced 'as-is' on a translation.

In the latter case, I doubt that the Civil Registry would look kindly on your re-use of the digital signature (a 2-D bar-code)and reproduction of the hand-written signature could possibly be regarded as a forgery. The inclusion in your look-alike translations of the verification code would also be somewhat questionable, since from a legal point of view it is used to confirm authenticity of the original document, not of the translation.

Summarising: If you need to translate lots of similar certificates (or other repetitive documents containing relatively little variable text) it can be worthwhile spending time to set up a special system. But you may be getting yourself into deep water. At the very least, you should blank out the computer-readable content of the originals (bar-codes and digital signatures).

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 01:05
Dutch to English
+ ...
No problem Nov 7, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I´m very sorry for beeing rude. Truly I don´t know why.
Must have had a very bad day. Please accept my apology for that. Sorry once again.

Kind regads
Jerzy

No problem Jerzy. I see that you have already deleted it and I did the same.

Best regards,

Tina

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 03:05
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Found a good solution Dec 4, 2006

I asked WordTips this same question. You can view the answer here: http://wordtips.VitalNews.com/T1799. They basically said that you create your own font using any kind of underline that you like. I can see a real use in creating fonts, especially for legal documents and forms.

Reed

[Edited at 2006-12-04 16:36]

[Edi
... See more
I asked WordTips this same question. You can view the answer here: http://wordtips.VitalNews.com/T1799. They basically said that you create your own font using any kind of underline that you like. I can see a real use in creating fonts, especially for legal documents and forms.

Reed

[Edited at 2006-12-04 16:36]

[Edited at 2006-12-04 16:38]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to type a truly dotted underline in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »