Unwanted temporary files, MSWord
Thread poster: Henry Hinds

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 11, 2006

I'm working on a file and all of a sudden the filename has disappeared and in its place is a filename like this:

Then I have to do a "Save as..." and put in the original filename again.

If I were to fail to notice that, I could finish a job then unknowingly send a client a file that was only partially complete; that is, only up to the point that the filename changed.

This just started very recently on a computer and with an MSWord I have been using for several years.

Does anyone know why this has suddenly started happening? And most important, how can I stop it from happening?

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 04:46
That's a standard temp file Nov 12, 2006

Word creates one or more of these for every file it opens; when you close the file, it's supposed to be erased (but sometimes you have to actually Quit). The question is what gave you the indication that this somehow became the new file name? I ask because let's say you have a folder with one file in it. You open that doc, and while it's open, you take a look in that folder. While you *see* that temp file there, that does not necessarily mean that's a new name that's a new name assigned to the document.

[Edited at 2006-11-12 01:40]

Xiangdong Zhuo
Local time: 16:46
English to Chinese
I also encountered this problem Nov 12, 2006

Yes, although very occasionally, I have ever encountered this problem. What I can do is just "save as...".
Fortunately, This kind of problem disappeared for a long time.

Local time: 12:46
English to Russian
Possibilities Nov 12, 2006

Possible actions (you can select the most appropriate action's order).

1. Check virus infection using variuous soft (at least 2-3).

2. Reinstall WORD. Before new installation, find and delete the file, if it exists after WORD removing. The file is hidden file. Searching with use of Windows does not find this file. Use Total Commander with following setting:
Configuration->Options->Display->Show hiden files->Apply->OK. After seaching restore initial setting of Total Commander.

3. Using seaching machines-sites like Coogle etc. you can request the same question. Select computer's sites and their FORUMs. Open new topic (after registration usually) and describe your WORD behavior.

4. After problem solving, you shall use WORD's check box Request for Changes (I have Russian version and do not know exact text of this check box in English version). Set attributes: READING ONLY and SYSTEM (for example, by use of the programm similar with Total Commander).

P.S. Now I believe, that such WORD's behavior is related with virus activities. The main target of virus for WORD is file. Usually such virus actions generate many problems related with saving. Some infections can fully remove any possibility for saving. Single anti-virus programm can not detect virus presence. Then, it's better to use 2-3 (Norton, DrWeb, Kaspercky, etc.) anti-virus programms.

Best Regards,

[Редактировалось 2006-11-12 06:53]

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:46
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Have you checked Tools > Save Nov 12, 2006

Temp files usually appear as soon as you open the document, if the “background save” option is on, however they should not replace the main file and should disappear as soon as you close the file. If temp file replaces the main file, it's really strange. Does this happen to this particular file only, or any Word file? If it's only this file, than something must be wrong with that file. If it happens to all the Word files, than maybe you could check the options in “Tools” dialog box, "Save” tab.

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:46
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I had this a few months ago Nov 13, 2006

and it was all down to a corrupted Trados template. I replaced the template and the issue resolved itself.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unwanted temporary files, MSWord

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs