Thread poster: Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz  Identity Verified
Paraguay
Local time: 15:18
German to English
Nov 14, 2006

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my current Office 2000 suite to either Office 2003 or Office XP (assuming these two are the latest greatest versions). Would anyone have suggestions as to which to use or are they both about the same in terms of reliability and compatibility with other potential translation applications? Does one of them require significantly more RAM than the other?

I run Windows XP and use Trados 6.5.

Thanks in advance,

Conroy

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:18
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Office XP Nov 14, 2006

If you don´t want to upgrade your Trados application, because AFAIK 6.5 does not work with Office 2003.

OTOH buying Office XP today is not the best solution, as the Office 2003 is already going to be replaced by Office 2007 early next year, making Office XP completly obsolete then. MS is then likely to drop the support for it completly.

In my own experience there is no or not a big difference between XP and 2003, just that 2003 is looking nicer. In terms of stability a
... See more
If you don´t want to upgrade your Trados application, because AFAIK 6.5 does not work with Office 2003.

OTOH buying Office XP today is not the best solution, as the Office 2003 is already going to be replaced by Office 2007 early next year, making Office XP completly obsolete then. MS is then likely to drop the support for it completly.

In my own experience there is no or not a big difference between XP and 2003, just that 2003 is looking nicer. In terms of stability any of the versions you mention (2000, XP and 2003) is OK.

As for Trados you are already using an obsolete version with some limitations, of them the most important is the lack of support for Word files and InDesign inx files in Tageditor. Upragding now might though bring you to a situation, that your version will be outdated early next year, as SDL Trados will release a new version probably in the coming spring.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 14:18
Spanish
+ ...
Trados 6.5 with Office 2003 Nov 15, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Trados 6.5 DOES work with Office 2003.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:18
Flemish to English
+ ...
Office 2007 Nov 15, 2006

I would wait and buy Office 2007 : A more intuitive feel and use.
Microsoft did not add a few functions, but revised the entire concept.
Word 2007 is used along the same principles as the Internet explorer.
Home, Insert, Page Layout,References, Mailings, Review, View and Add-Ins (or their translations) will become a familiar view in years to come. So will the binocular icon(editing).
In 2007, Trados is a part of the Add-Ins. Click on it and you see the icons for differe
... See more
I would wait and buy Office 2007 : A more intuitive feel and use.
Microsoft did not add a few functions, but revised the entire concept.
Word 2007 is used along the same principles as the Internet explorer.
Home, Insert, Page Layout,References, Mailings, Review, View and Add-Ins (or their translations) will become a familiar view in years to come. So will the binocular icon(editing).
In 2007, Trados is a part of the Add-Ins. Click on it and you see the icons for different add-ins. I don't know if Trados 6.5 works with 2007, but Trados 7.0 works just fine.

[Edited at 2006-11-15 09:40]
Collapse

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 21:18
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados and Office 2007 Dec 25, 2006

I have a registered copy of Trados 6,5 and it won't work on Office 2007. I just tried Trados 7 and 7,5. 7,5 works for a while and returns the same error message 33353 end of paragraph not found.
in my opinion, if you want to work with trados, don't upgrade to Office 2007. 2003 will be plenty and you can even use trados 6,5 with it.

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 21:18
English to Russian
+ ...
http://www.translationzone.com/sublink.asp?ID=767 Dec 25, 2006

TRADOS 7 is compatible with the following operating systems:

* Windows 2000
* Windows XP Home
* Windows XP Professional
* Windows 2003 Server
* Microsoft Office 2000
* Microsoft Office XP
* Microsoft Office 2003

SDL is a bit behind since there is a final release of Office 2007. Will have to wait for a Trados Update before considering buying its new version.

[Edited at 2006-12-25 17:04]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft Office 2003 vs. Office XP

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »