Thread poster: Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent
Gwidon Naskrent  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 17, 2006

I have recently switched to Open Office 2.0.4 and tried to open a bilingual Trados file (with original text hidden). Of course, only the translation was displayed by default. So I browsed through the options and checked "Hidden text" (as well as "Fields: Hidden Text" just to be sure) under Formatting Aids - still no source text. Eventually I just selected everything and unhid the source, but I wonder why didn't it work like I expected?

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:24
German to English
+ ...
View Nov 17, 2006

Did you check both:

View>Hidden paragraphs

and:

View>Nonprinting characters

Gwidon Naskrent
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uh... where are they? Nov 17, 2006

I have no such options under either the View or Formatting aid tabs. So where are they?

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Main menu Nov 17, 2006

On the main menu bar: File, Edit, View, Insert etc

P Waters
P Waters  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Tagalog
+ ...
To hide a paragraph Nov 17, 2006

1.Click in the paragraph where you want to add the text.
2.Choose Insert - Fields - Other and click the Functions tab.
3.Click "Hidden Paragraph" in the Type list.

Hope this helps.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Font effects Nov 17, 2006

There is a facility for hiding text at:

Format>Character>Font Effects

This might be of interest:

http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?t=34297

Also help files (F1) "Hiding Text".

Gwidon Naskrent
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dead simple Nov 22, 2006

The solution is to hit Ctrl+F10 - it's that simple. It toggles the "Hidden Paragraph" setting (now you may wonder why in OO this is marked as a hidden paragraph and not hidden text).

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Open Office and hidden text Nov 22, 2006

Gwidon Naskrent wrote:

The solution is to hit Ctrl+F10 - it's that simple. It toggles the "Hidden Paragraph" setting (now you may wonder why in OO this is marked as a hidden paragraph and not hidden text).

Gwidon,

As I understand it, there are two different mechanisms for hiding text in OOo. One is as a field attribute, the other as a text attribute.

The facility for hiding text as a field attribute has existed in OOo for a long time. It enables you not only to hide text, but to link the texts' hidden/unhidden status to some other condition.

However, this function originally existed only at paragraph level. I am fairly confident about this as I once experimented with "cloning" Trados/Wordfast in OOo, and one hurdle was that it was not possible to hide individual segments, only complete paragraphs. It now appears from the Help that text strings at sub-paragraph level can be hidden/unhidden as fields. It seems however that "Hidden paragraphs" is used to refer to this function even at sub-paragraph level, possibly a legacy from when only whole paragraphs could be hidden. See OOo's comprehensive Help for details - I won't reproduce it here but the relevant section can be found at F1 > hidden text > guide.

Very recently, the facility to hide text as a text attribute was added to OOo. This resembles Word's hidden text feature, i.e. that which is familiar to Trados and Wordfast users and is used to hide and reveal the source text and segment delimiter codes. This new feature in OOo is compatible with its counterpart in Word: if you insert hidden text in a Word document, i.e. by marking text, then Format > Character and checking the "hidden" box (I am guessing at the exact terms as I have the German version), then not only can the file be opened in OOo, the "hidden" text can also be revealed/hidden by OOo.

The two features have different uses and different mechanisms for displaying/hiding. The "View" menu illustrates this: the "Hidden Paragraphs" option displays/hides hidden text associated with fields (presumably whether at paragraph level or not); the "Nonprinting characters" option displays/hides text which is hidden as a text property, e.g. that formatted as such in Word as I have described above.

Marc

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Office and hidden text

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »