Lost file?
Thread poster: Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:03
English to German
+ ...
Nov 27, 2006

I proofread a file that came in a zip file and then saved it back into said zip file. It did not tell me that I could not save it in the zip file. I then closed it, but can't find the proofread file anywhere, only the original file remains. I should have saved it in a different location, like I always do, but am braindead and forgot to do this. Is there any place else I can look for the file? I already did file search and came up with nothing. Thanks in advance.

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:03
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Where did you receive the zip file? Nov 27, 2006

If you received it in your mailbox in Outlook Express, as an attachment, and didn't save it to another location, before making changes, you should be able to find it in your Temporary Internet Files, in Content.IE5 folder. You can’t find this folder if you just open your Temporary Internet Files folder, because it is not visible. There are several ways you can find or re-open this file. First try loading your WinZip, and then open the last file edited by this program. Then you can save it to a... See more
If you received it in your mailbox in Outlook Express, as an attachment, and didn't save it to another location, before making changes, you should be able to find it in your Temporary Internet Files, in Content.IE5 folder. You can’t find this folder if you just open your Temporary Internet Files folder, because it is not visible. There are several ways you can find or re-open this file. First try loading your WinZip, and then open the last file edited by this program. Then you can save it to another location. Or you can try opening another attachment from your Outlook Express mailbox (do not open the same zip file, because it will overwrite the edited file). When the file opens, hit "save as", and you'll see where the temporary files are saved. So you can just hit Start > Run, and type the path there manually. In one of the Content.IE5 folders you’ll find your zip file.Collapse

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 20:03
English to Spanish
It has happened to me. See if this works for you... Nov 27, 2006

Read carefully what you're going to do:

1. Open the zip file.
2. Open, again, the file of your interest.
3. Once you're looking at it, PRETEND you are saving it again (just pretend); and
4. Look carefully at the folder where it should had been saved the first time, but DON'T SAVE IT.

Probably, the file does not have a name, but a code key, and it's a HIDDEN file. Anyway, write down the path route, the directory, subdirectory, folder, etc. And go to it.
... See more
Read carefully what you're going to do:

1. Open the zip file.
2. Open, again, the file of your interest.
3. Once you're looking at it, PRETEND you are saving it again (just pretend); and
4. Look carefully at the folder where it should had been saved the first time, but DON'T SAVE IT.

Probably, the file does not have a name, but a code key, and it's a HIDDEN file. Anyway, write down the path route, the directory, subdirectory, folder, etc. And go to it.

If its hidden as I suppose, you should make your Windows show the hidden files. To do this, go to the Windows Menu > Tools> Folder Options> View (second tag)> Activate "Hidden files and folders".

Search the path route. Then you'll find it.

Hope it helps!
Tadzio.

[Edited at 2006-11-27 04:01]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:03
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try your TEMP directories Nov 27, 2006

Nikolaus Halter wrote:
I proofread a file that came in a zip file and then saved it back into said zip file.

Uh-oh, bad move. When you open a file like that, the computer actually creates a copy of it in some TEMP directory and displays that file to you. Sometimes you can work on it and save it, but it depends on the program you're using whether it will then take the file from the TEMP directory and put it back into the original place. Some don't. Some delete the file in the TEMP directory. Hope and pray that you can still find that file in one of your computers' TEMP directories...

Maxime Ferreol
Maxime Ferreol
Switzerland
Local time: 04:03
English to French
Windows+F Nov 27, 2006

If you still haven't found your translated file, you can try to get Windows to look for it. Hit the Windows key + F, then choose "Documents" or "All files and folders", and type in the name of the lost file. You'll hopefully find two of them. The translated one and the untranslated one. Check the "Last modified" date to pick the one you need.
Hope this helps.
Max.

Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:03
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone for your replies Nov 27, 2006

I ended up having to redo the proofreading; I remembered most of the changes, so it didn't really take me that long at all. Still....

My proofreading was nowhere to be found, I was only able to find about 6 copies of the original file. Strange.

Anyway, thanks everyone.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost file?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »