Outlook 2003 crashing
Thread poster: gwm
gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
Member (2005)
Nov 28, 2006

My Outlook 2003 just started crashing out of the blue. The only message I get is the window saying 'Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close' No error message at all. When I close it down and reopen the same thing happens over and over again. I have searched various forums, but all crashes seem to come with an error message. Has anybody any idea how a) I can see an error message and b) how to fix this problem? Any help much appreciated! Gisela

Some time later:
I ch
... See more
My Outlook 2003 just started crashing out of the blue. The only message I get is the window saying 'Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close' No error message at all. When I close it down and reopen the same thing happens over and over again. I have searched various forums, but all crashes seem to come with an error message. Has anybody any idea how a) I can see an error message and b) how to fix this problem? Any help much appreciated! Gisela

Some time later:
I changed to working on my laptop - and suddenly Outlook starts playing up as well. BUT: I got a message that Outlook has encountered an error with an AVAST plug in and would I like to disable it (This DID not come up on the PC, otherwise I would not have had to post this here). I did - and Outlook on my laptop works fine. I subsequently disabled AVAST on my PC - and Outlook works fine as well. I'll have to re-install AVAST later (have an outside appointment now) and see what happens.

[Edited at 2006-11-28 11:37]
Collapse

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
Outlook 2003 crashing - not fixed Nov 28, 2006

I need your help after all - taking AVAST off didn't have a lasting effect. Outlook is crashing again - and I still don't get an error message telling me what to do. I am desperate now. Has anybody any idea what this could be?

Gisela Murdter wrote:

Some time later:
I changed to working on my laptop - and suddenly Outlook starts playing up as well. BUT: I got a message that Outlook has encountered an error with an AVAST plug in and would I like to disable it (This DID not come up on the PC, otherwise I would not have had to post this here). I did - and Outlook on my laptop works fine. I subsequently disabled AVAST on my PC - and Outlook works fine as well. I'll have to re-install AVAST later (have an outside appointment now) and see what happens.

[Edited at 2006-11-28 11:37]

Gabriela Kirsche
Gabriela Kirsche
Hungary
Local time: 13:34
English to Hungarian
+ ...
...Outlook? Nov 29, 2006

Dear Gisela,

Just two humble pieces of advice:

1. The reason why not to ask for translators' advice in hardcore IT matters should be the same as why not to ask for their help in health, accounting, architecture, or sexual problems.
2. Start using Mozilla Thunderbird & Mozilla Firefox, import your contacts & favorites from MS apps, and NEVER look back again.

See more
Dear Gisela,

Just two humble pieces of advice:

1. The reason why not to ask for translators' advice in hardcore IT matters should be the same as why not to ask for their help in health, accounting, architecture, or sexual problems.
2. Start using Mozilla Thunderbird & Mozilla Firefox, import your contacts & favorites from MS apps, and NEVER look back again.

Collapse

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
Outlook 2003 crashing " Nov 30, 2006

Dear Gabor,

thank you for your reply. I have been working with Firefox sind its early days and also have worked with Thunderbird. Unfortunately, Thunderbird does not (Yet?) have the same functionality as Outlook.

Best regards,

Gisela

gwm
gwm  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
TOPIC STARTER
Outlook 2003 crashing Dec 6, 2006

I think I have found what was causing this: With the new version of Firefox I also downloaded a few add-ons, including the

'Download Accelerator Plus Integration'

When Outlook tries to download certain newsletters it crashes. It seems to be a bad combination of the three (Outlook, newsletter and Download Accelerator), as it only affects certain newsletters. And it works perfectly fine with Thunderbird, of course.

Now, if they only ma
... See more
I think I have found what was causing this: With the new version of Firefox I also downloaded a few add-ons, including the

'Download Accelerator Plus Integration'

When Outlook tries to download certain newsletters it crashes. It seems to be a bad combination of the three (Outlook, newsletter and Download Accelerator), as it only affects certain newsletters. And it works perfectly fine with Thunderbird, of course.

Now, if they only made Thunderbird as 'comfortable' to use as Outlook (They manage this with Firefox, which is miles better than Internet Explorer)...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook 2003 crashing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »