Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:22
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 4, 2006

Hi there!

Help! Does anyone know a quick and dirty way to get Word to reverse bolded text? I have a 350 page manual where what's supposed to be bolded is in regular font, and what's supposed to be regular font is in bold.

Is there any way to flip flop these without doing it manually? It's taking me FOREVER.

Thanks!
Sandra

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:22
Spanish
+ ...
Find and Replace Dec 4, 2006

You could use Find and Replace with special formats.

1. Click Ctrl+H
2. Place the cursor in 'Find What'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font>Bold.
3. Place the cursor in 'Replace with'. Chose a format that you know it's nowhere else in the document, i.e. pink font. Check that the font style is set in Regular.
4. Replace All

5. Click Ctrl+H.
6. Place the cursor in 'Find What'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font>Reg
... See more

1. Click Ctrl+H
2. Place the cursor in 'Find What'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font>Bold.
3. Place the cursor in 'Replace with'. Chose a format that you know it's nowhere else in the document, i.e. pink font. Check that the font style is set in Regular.
4. Replace All

5. Click Ctrl+H.
6. Place the cursor in 'Find What'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font>Regular.
7. Place the cursor in 'Replace with'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font>Bold.
8. 4. Replace All

9. Click Ctrl+H.
6. Place the cursor in 'Find What'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font>Regular, Format>Font Color>Pink
7. Place the cursor in 'Replace with'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font/Font Color>Regular/Auto.
8. 4. Replace All

Good luck,
Claudia

[Edited at 2006-12-04 03:34]

Edit: You have to be careful not to mess with other styles like Italics. If the document has Italics just use Font Color>Auto in step 7.

[Edited at 2006-12-04 03:36]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 15:22
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nearly right, just one suggestion... Dec 4, 2006

Claudia Alvis wrote:

6. Place the cursor in 'Find What'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font>Regular.

6. Place the cursor in 'Find What'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font>Regular, Format>Font Color>Pink
7. Place the cursor in 'Replace with'. Click the 'More' button and select Format>Font/Font Color>Regular/Auto.

As Claudia has said, you need to be careful if the text contains any other formatting like italic. It is best NOT to use 'regular', for fear of either missing, or inadvertently removing, some italics.

There is actually a 'not bold' style which would be the safer one to use, as it has no incidence on the italic attribute.

Note too that 'no selection' is NOT the same as regular, so you have to deliberately UN-select 'regular' if you don't want it; in practice, this means selecting something else, or else clsoing and restarting the 'search-&-replace' function to reset it.

[Edited at 2006-12-04 09:19]

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Another way Dec 4, 2006

There is another way to do it, very similar to the above, but maybe a bit easier. Right-click on any bold, italic, or bold-italic word, and in the menu “Select text with similar formatting”. All the text formatted similarly will be selected; and you can format it the way you wish. But normal text (non-bold and non-italic) you still have to replace by Find and Replace function.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Maybe this very easy trick works... Dec 4, 2006

Select the whole document (CTRL+A) and press the shortcut for bold (sorry, I don´t remember the one for English Word and my German Word has been modified by me, so it does not have the default shortcut anymore...).
Usually this reverts the formatting. However, it might not work for such a big document.

Regards
Jerzy

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
DANGEROUS idea! Experiment first! Dec 4, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Select the whole document (CTRL+A) and press the shortcut for bold
Usually this reverts the formatting.

I would be very wary of doing this!

I think different versions of Word may behave differently, or inconsistently in this respect!

I think instead of toggling Bold/Not bold and vice versa, when applied to mixed-attribute text, my version usually turns OFF the bold attribute at first application (for ALL the selected text, even if it was bold before), and then a second application emboldens ALL selected text (even if it was not bold before).

This is not exactly the 'toggling' effect Asker was enquiring about, but could cause merry chaos in the document!

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Interesting, but where is this command? Dec 4, 2006

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

Right-click on any bold, italic, or bold-italic word, and in the menu “Select text with similar formatting”.

That's very interesting, Henrik! But I can't seem to find this command in the right-click sub-menu of my Word 2003 version ; please could you give me any clues as to where to find it, or tell me which other version of Word you may perhaps be referring to?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not that dangerous... Dec 4, 2006

As you can undo a lot of actions in Word. So the possible harm is not bit.
But I admit that I never tried to use this for a whole document - it was never neccessary.

Putting all togehter I think the Search&Replace method might be the best.

Regards
Jerzy

BTW
When selecting formatting in S&R function there should also be the option "not bold" (which is not available in formatting options elswhere), so it might be usefull.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Surely not that dangerous! Dec 5, 2006

Sandra is certainly smart enough to keep an untouchable original somewhere on her computer (or even flash drive or disk) and do her "playing around" with a version that she "Save(d) as" with a different file name and at a different location.

I always do this even when translating, let alone messing around with tricky formatting. If it gets too bad I can just close that version ("Save changes?" "NO!") and start over.

Jane

Henrik Pipoyan
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
I use Word 2002 Dec 5, 2006

Tony -Dusty- wrote:

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

Right-click on any bold, italic, or bold-italic word, and in the menu “Select text with similar formatting”.

That's very interesting, Henrik! But I can't seem to find this command in the right-click sub-menu of my Word 2003 version ; please could you give me any clues as to where to find it, or tell me which other version of Word you may perhaps be referring to?

Hi Tony,

I have Word 2002, and I always do it this way when I have complicated formatting and want to apply some formatting element to just one type of formatted text. It works perfectly. I would never think that this feature would not be carried over to the newer versions of Word.

Here’s what I found in the Help:

1. If the Styles and Formatting task pane is not open, click Styles and Formatting on the Formatting toolbar.
2. In your document, click in a word that's formatted like the text you want to select. The formatting description will appear under Formatting of selected text in the Styles and Formatting task pane.
3. In the Styles and Formatting task pane, click Select All.

If the right-click menu does not contain this command, maybe you can find it here. It’s the "AA" sign on the Formatting toolbar.

[Edited at 2006-12-05 07:43]

Henrik Pipoyan
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
The disadvantage of this method Dec 5, 2006

The disadvantage of this method is that it does not select text with different font face or different size. Only the text having exactly the same formatting is selected. So if the text consists of different fonts or font-sizes, it’s better to use the Find and Replace command.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reversing Bold

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »