numbers as text in Excel
Thread poster: Steven F Smith
Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:38
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Dec 5, 2006

I have a large Excel file (230 worksheets, 300 000 numbers) to translate using Trados. Unfortunately all the numbers are formatted as text, so Trados doesn't just process them automatically. If I reformat the numbers as numbers in Excel (so that Trados ignores them) alot of them become negative and lose their brackets. This wouldn't be a problem if, after they've gone through Trados, I could restore their original values and brackets by reformatting them as text, but this doesn't seem to work.
I'm using Excel 2003 by the way.
If anyone has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

Steven Smith

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are those numbers in spearate columns? Dec 5, 2006

If so, you can hide them.
To do so, select the corresponding colum, right click on it and select "Hide". Trados will then ignore the whole column.
After you´re finished, unhide the column(s).

Kind regards

Steven F Smith
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
Thanks for your tip Dec 5, 2006

It will be useful for future reference, but in this case there's quite a lot of text above the columns so I don't think it would work. I'm probably just going to cut the numbers pre Trados and then paste them back after translating. This will be a bit tedious but I'm not too pushed for time.

Tony M  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
French to English
+ ...
May depend WHY they are formatted like that? Dec 5, 2006

The use of brackets to indicate a negative quantity is one of the options for number formats (under 'Accounting', I think, though my own version is in FR!)

So if ALL the numbers are affected, you could presumably 'select all' (if you're lucky!) and set the format to number, accounting (or whatever other special format you need; you can customize them...)

In theory at least, this should not affect other cells containing only text (unless some of them have special formatting applied...)

Khalid Nasir
Local time: 04:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
use function Dec 6, 2006

if you have your number formated as text in cell A2 then you can have a numer in cell b2 by using this formula "=LEFT(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-1),LEN(RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-1))-1)" , tell if this solves your problem

Marta Fernandez-Suarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
copy source Dec 6, 2006

Hi Steven

Probably I am about to state the obvious, but anyway. If you cannot use Jerzy's option and your segment consists in just a number, you do not need to do copy-paste, you can just do "copy-source" (Alt+insert), it takes a second.

There is another solution, but I do not know how to do it. There is an option in Trados to define something you do not want translated as "untranslatable text".

[Edited at 2006-12-06 12:08]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

numbers as text in Excel

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs