Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 7, 2006

Hi.

Does anyone know how to change bullet styles in a document in one fell swoop? I've got a whole document where the bullets are little boxes and I want them all to be little dots. Does anyone know how to change them all at the same time? I can't go through 350 pages and do them one by one without going crazy...

Thanks.
Sandra

Mihaela BUFNILA
Mihaela BUFNILA  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:37
English to Romanian
+ ...
Don't do that, Sandra! Dec 7, 2006

Sandra Alboum wrote:

without going crazy...

Select the first bulleted lines. Then go to Format > Bullets and Numbering > Bulleted and choose the dots you like the most. If you don't agree with any of them, just go to Customize in the same window and then decide what font, what character or picture or anything you like.
Once you have decided that, you can use the Format Painter brush, click on the lines already buletted to your taste and then click on the following bulleted lines.

I'm afraid you can't do that by just one click unless the whole text is a block of bulleted lines.

I hope it is acceptable ...
Mihaela

Tomasz Ratajczak
Tomasz Ratajczak  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
Polish to Swedish
+ ...
changing bullet Dec 7, 2006

I'm on Office 2003.
Place your cursor on one of the bulleted lines, right click and choose "Bullets and Numbering" than choose "Modify" to change the bullet character. You can choose whatever you want, both glyphs and pictures.
Hopefully it'll help

/tomasz

Sandra Alboum
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, that's not what I need... Dec 7, 2006

I know how to change individual bullets. It's just that ALL the bullets in this 350 page doc are squares and I want circles. I need to know how to change these in one step as opposed to changing them one by one.

Thanks.

Sandra Alboum
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What? Dec 7, 2006

Mihaela BUFNILA wrote:

Sandra Alboum wrote:

without going crazy...

Select the first bulleted lines. Then go to Format > Bullets and Numbering > Bulleted and choose the dots you like the most. If you don't agree with any of them, just go to Customize in the same window and then decide what font, what character or picture or anything you like.
Once you have decided that, you can use the Format Painter brush, click on the lines already buletted to your taste and then click on the following bulleted lines.

I'm afraid you can't do that by just one click unless the whole text is a block of bulleted lines.

I hope it is acceptable ...
Mihaela

What's the format painter brush?

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Changing bullet styles Dec 7, 2006

Has the document been authored properly with styles? If yes, just change the appropriate style (see Word help) and you are done. If not (ie. paragraphs were formatted manually), you'll have to change them manually or using a macro.

It's also possible that your version of Word can search and replace bullets. It's not possible in Word 2000, but I think newer versions can do that (can somebody clarify?). Have a look in Edit - Replace - More - Format (again, this could be different in y
... See more
Has the document been authored properly with styles? If yes, just change the appropriate style (see Word help) and you are done. If not (ie. paragraphs were formatted manually), you'll have to change them manually or using a macro.

It's also possible that your version of Word can search and replace bullets. It's not possible in Word 2000, but I think newer versions can do that (can somebody clarify?). Have a look in Edit - Replace - More - Format (again, this could be different in your version of Word).
Collapse

Mihaela BUFNILA
Mihaela BUFNILA  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 22:37
English to Romanian
+ ...
It's a brush Dec 7, 2006

It's on the Formatting toolbar. A button with a brush on it.
If it is not, you can find it. Go to Tools on the menu bar > Customize > Commands > Format (category) > search for the Format Painter brush on the list. Drag the button to the toolbar (just click on it and drag) and you'll have it there forever.

Tomasz Ratajczak
Tomasz Ratajczak  Identity Verified
Polish to Swedish
+ ...
changing style Dec 7, 2006

when you change style you change all the bullets formated with this style

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to English
+ ...
Select all? Dec 7, 2006

Select the whole doc (Ctrl-A)
Then go to Format -> Bullets & Numbering -> Click on the bullet type you like -> OK.

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:37
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
You can do with the help of Styles and Formatting Dec 8, 2006

In the Formatting toolbar click on Styles and Formatting (the AA) icon OR open Format > Styles and Formatting. A window will open on the right of the screen. Put the cursor on any bulleted line and in the window that has opened on your right hit "Select All". All the bullets will be selected in the file. Than you can change the bullet and select what you want. (In Word 2002 you can just put the cursor on any bulleted line, right click and “Select Text with Similar Formatting”).

[Edite
... See more
In the Formatting toolbar click on Styles and Formatting (the AA) icon OR open Format > Styles and Formatting. A window will open on the right of the screen. Put the cursor on any bulleted line and in the window that has opened on your right hit "Select All". All the bullets will be selected in the file. Than you can change the bullet and select what you want. (In Word 2002 you can just put the cursor on any bulleted line, right click and “Select Text with Similar Formatting”).

[Edited at 2006-12-08 14:55]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing bullet styles

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »