How to do a simultaneous search of a term or phrase in different Word files?
Thread poster: Momoka
Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:44
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 12, 2006

Hi, all.

I'm currently working on a big project consisting of about twenty different files (and more coming) , all about the same subject discussed from different perspectives. Sometimes I need to go back and check for terms or phrases I know I have already used in order to keep a certain level of consistency, terms that don't appear too often but do at times, and each time so far what I've done is to open the already translated files (about 15) and do a Seach for the word or term I need to know I'm using exactly the same as in other files each time. This is really time consuming, but I couldn't find any hint in the Word Help to do it in a step.
Is there any function in Word to help me do this in a step? Or will I have to use a macro?
Recording a macro is not a problem, but I'd like to know if Word can do it and I just don't know it...yet.
Thanks in advance.

Diana

[Edited at 2006-12-12 04:55]

Direct link Reply with quote

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:44
Member (2003)
German to English
Concordance/context function Dec 12, 2006

If you are using Wordfast or Trados this shouldn't be a problem, simply highlight the term in question and run a concordance (Trados term) or Context (Wordfast) search. That will pull up all instances of how the word has been used from the TM. Very helpful part of CATs.

Another option is to try using any of a number of different desktop search software... Google Desktop is one version, Copernic (www.copernic.com) is another. This software indexes every file on your computer, so when you type in a term it shows all places on your computer where it occurs. With Copernic anyway you can then restrict the folder in which the search should run. That should help you with this project.

(This functionality is built into the Mac OS, btw, just another reason to switch....)

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Diana, Dec 12, 2006

If all the files are in one folder, just open that folder and hit F3. Then select “All files and folders” on the left and paste the term or phrase you are looking for in the “A word of phrase in the file:” field.

OR

In MS Word you can you can go to File > Search, in the search location select the folder where your files are, select the option “Text or Property” and paste the term or phrase in the Value filed.

OR

In MS Word go to File > Open (Ctrl. + O), and the in top right corner of the Open dialog-box hit Tools > Search.

I hope this helps,

Henry

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Scanned files Dec 12, 2006

Hello, Steven.

Thanks for your help. Actually, I forgot to mention I'm working with scanned files (I don't convert them to Word, but that's another subject) so I'm not using any CAT tool, though I have Wordfast.
Anyway, I'll look into desktop search softwares.
Thanks for letting me know.

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One folder Dec 12, 2006

Hi, Henry.

My files are grouped in four different folders that I keep in another, single folder for this project, so I guess I'll have to do a search in the project folder (won't I?). Actually, have already tried using F3 but didn't get all the results that I expected. Anyway, it was just a quick try so I'll look into that later.
Thanks for the hints!

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Yes, you should search in the project folder, Dec 12, 2006

but make sure you open the "More advanced options" and check the "Search subfolders” checkbox. There are several other options that allow you to refine or expand your search, by assigning certain criteria.

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:44
English to Indonesian
+ ...
format of the scanned files Dec 12, 2006

Momoka wrote:

Hello, Steven.

Thanks for your help. Actually, I forgot to mention I'm working with scanned files (I don't convert them to Word, but that's another subject) so I'm not using any CAT tool, though I have Wordfast.
Anyway, I'll look into desktop search softwares.
Thanks for letting me know.

cmiiw, it's impossible to use the search function on scanned files. imo, you will have to grab the text first using ocr. then you can convert it to txt or doc, or other text based format.

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Options Dec 12, 2006

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

but make sure you open the "More advanced options" and check the "Search subfolders” checkbox. There are several other options that allow you to refine or expand your search, by assigning certain criteria.

This is what I was missing.

Thank you all for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do a simultaneous search of a term or phrase in different Word files?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs