Problem when pasting image from a PDF to Word
Thread poster: Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:52
French to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 16, 2006

I wonder if somene can help me with this problem:

I'm translating a PDF which comes horizontal and with a quite complicated diagram, so I can't use OCR for it. I created a Word file horizontal with an invisible table and typed my text there. Now when it comes to paste the diagram from PDF, this image turns out rotated to the left. I have tried rotating the PDF to the right to compensate but it won't help, and I don't seem to manage to rotate the image to its right position once it i
... See more
I wonder if somene can help me with this problem:

I'm translating a PDF which comes horizontal and with a quite complicated diagram, so I can't use OCR for it. I created a Word file horizontal with an invisible table and typed my text there. Now when it comes to paste the diagram from PDF, this image turns out rotated to the left. I have tried rotating the PDF to the right to compensate but it won't help, and I don't seem to manage to rotate the image to its right position once it is in the Word file (I don't find any option to do so).

Thank-you very much for your help in advance.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Open the PDF Dec 16, 2006

in any graphic processing program able opening PDF files (for example Photoshop) and save it in another format, for example JPEG. In Protoshop you will be also able to divide your image into several parts and paste them separately, if necessary.

P.S. FYI, I moved the thread to the Office Applications forum.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:52
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not really clear Dec 16, 2006

what's your problem. You must be more specific. What is that "PDF file that comes horizontal" and "Word file horizontal"? How do you try to obtain the picture? Which command do you use to insert the picture? Did you try paste special? Did you try another word processor? Etc. etc.

A hint: Foxit PDF Reader (www.foxitsoftware.com) allows to make an arbitrary rectangular selection in a PDF document
... See more
what's your problem. You must be more specific. What is that "PDF file that comes horizontal" and "Word file horizontal"? How do you try to obtain the picture? Which command do you use to insert the picture? Did you try paste special? Did you try another word processor? Etc. etc.

A hint: Foxit PDF Reader (www.foxitsoftware.com) allows to make an arbitrary rectangular selection in a PDF document and copy it to the clipboard as an image.
Collapse

Orian Cuko
Orian Cuko  Identity Verified
Albania
English to Albanian
+ ...
Image from PDF to Word Dec 16, 2006

When you paste an image to Word, right-click over it, open "Format Picture" and select "Layout" tab, "In front of text" option (or "Behind text"). Then you can rotate the image as you wish by the green dot appearing when you mouse over. This can be done through the "Picture toolbar" too.

Hope it helps.

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Use a graphic program Dec 16, 2006

Since the part you want to paste is a table and not a image, you will not be able to extract it from the PDF file. This would be the easiest way, as PDF usually is able to extract all picture of a file.

So here is the solution A:
1) Open a graphic programme (Photoshop, picture publisher)
2) Open a new blank file in the graphic programme.
3) Set the size of the blank file and leave the file open.
4) Go to the PDF file and put the ZOOM set to 100%.
5)
... See more
Since the part you want to paste is a table and not a image, you will not be able to extract it from the PDF file. This would be the easiest way, as PDF usually is able to extract all picture of a file.

So here is the solution A:
1) Open a graphic programme (Photoshop, picture publisher)
2) Open a new blank file in the graphic programme.
3) Set the size of the blank file and leave the file open.
4) Go to the PDF file and put the ZOOM set to 100%.
5) Use the photo cutting set (icon camera) and cut out the table from the PDF.
A small message will occur informing you that the image has been cut out.
6) Go to the picture programme, click in the picture, and select PASTE.
7) Cut out the picture so that the white parts disappear.
8) Decide a name and the map for the picture file and save it there as an jpg, png or gif file.
0) Go the word file and click on insert graphic (the one you have saved previously)
That's it !

Note: If the picture is to large, you can still make it smaller either in word by clicking on it and
pull the side points of the picture to the proper size. Or go to the picture programme
and adjust the picture size there by choosing "Picture size" in the menu bar.

SOLUTION B: USING OCR (Readiris or Omnipage):
1) Prescan the document.
2) Select on the prescan document the table by instructing
the OCR program that it should read as an Excel table
3) Let OCR scan it
4) When OCR has finished scanning check the scanned letters from cell to cell.
5) Paste the table in a new word file and insert all necessary symbols and icons.
6) When finished you can insert it in your translation an text field.

There is a third expensive solution, but I think the first one is still the easiest way to handle such a problem.

In case all of the above suggestions dont work, contact
the client and ask him for the table in word format
Collapse

Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank-you all Dec 17, 2006

I managed to do it by opening a graphic program as you suggested. Thank-you ever so much for your replies. You were very helpful.

Happy Holidays

Silvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem when pasting image from a PDF to Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »