Word/characters count in word file
Thread poster: xxxHikonishi
xxxHikonishi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:33
English to Japanese
Dec 20, 2006

I would like to know how to count source (Japanese; characters) and target (English; word) character/word numbers in word file. I translated a word file containing English and Japanese. Client asked me to translate only untranslated Japanese paragraphs. Both source and translated files have Japanese and English words.

I used Tool>Word count function in Word. I can see Non-Asian words and Asian characters. I thought that the differences in Non-Asian words and Asian characters indicate translated English words and Japanese characters. However, the numbers don't match to real numbers. I use Word 2003. Please advise.

Direct link Reply with quote

casey
United States
Local time: 12:33
Japanese to English
Highlight the relevant sections only Dec 21, 2006

Use your mouse to highlight the relevant sections only. You can do this by highlighting the first relevant paragraph and then holding down the Ctrl button while highlighting the others one by one. When only the relevant paragraphs have been highlighted use the word count function again and it will only count the highlighted sections.

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:33
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
If you have used different fonts for Japanese and English... Dec 21, 2006

you can highlight just one language by Find and Replace command. Open Edit > Find; press the “More” button at the bottom of the dialog-box; put the cursor in the “Find what” field; press the “Format” button the bottom of the dialog-box; choose “Font” and select the font that you have used for either Japanese or English. Then check the box “Highlight all items found in:” and press “Find All”. When the text is selected, the Word Count command will show only the number of Japanese or English words.

Henry

casey
United States
Local time: 12:33
Japanese to English
Cool Dec 21, 2006

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

you can highlight just one language by Find and Replace command. Open Edit > Find; press the “More” button at the bottom of the dialog-box; put the cursor in the “Find what” field; press the “Format” button the bottom of the dialog-box; choose “Font” and select the font that you have used for either Japanese or English. Then check the box “Highlight all items found in:” and press “Find All”. When the text is selected, the Word Count command will show only the number of Japanese or English words.

Henry

Nice trick! Thanks for sharing.

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:33
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
You’re welcome Dec 21, 2006

casey wrote:

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

Henry

Nice trick! Thanks for sharing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word/characters count in word file

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search