Removing Templates In Word
Thread poster: Ara Mkrtchyan
Ara Mkrtchyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:14
English to Armenian
+ ...
Dec 22, 2006

Hi all,

Was wondering whether someone could give me a hint on how to remove templates in Ms Word 2003. Please skip the standard way of Tool>Templates and Add-ins>uncheck a template or going to the Word startup folder and removing the template manually. There are no templates in there.
What I need to remove are the templates of Houghton Mifflin American Heritage Dictionary and Orfo 2004. On every start of MS Word the Orfo template appears on the white background where text is to be written, so I have to move its toolbar every time.
The main reason for the removal, though, is that is causes the well-known Trados dialog box to appear every time I close the program (do you want to save the changes to The question appeared after I installed Orfo 2004.
I searched the computer for *.dot, but found nothing related to ORFO.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:14
English to Swedish
The toolbar Dec 22, 2006

Just a few suggestions, might not work at all...

Try deleting the toolbar itself and see if it helps. (Make a backup of before, just in case.)

Your could also check this:
In Word:
Tools>Options>Path tab
See if there is a path given for Workgroup templates, and then either change is or go to the folder to see what it contains.

Another option would be to uninstall Orfo 2004, and maybe re-install and see if there are any choices you can make during installation.

Best regards,

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:14
Danish to English
+ ...
template removal Dec 22, 2006

to avoid the annoying "do you want to save changes to" you will need to remove the "" from word. Word will by itself start up with a new "" when the old one is removed. I can only give you this in English.

Click "my computer"
Click "Local disc"
Click "Documents and settings"
Click "your name"
Click "Application data"
Click "Microsoft"
Click "Templates"

In this folder for templates, rename the "" old, i.e., "", OK this, and close the program. Next time Word opens up, you will have a new template and when you close Word, it will not ask you if you want to safe the changes to

To be sure you remove the Orfo completely, if you have a CD with that program, you can remove it using the CD, as there are removal programs on the CD. Otherwise go to "start" and click on "add or remove programs" and see if Orfo shows here. The cleanest removal is to use the program removal features from the CD.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing Templates In Word

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs