Thread poster: Ara Mkrtchyan
Ara Mkrtchyan  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 19:25
English to Armenian
+ ...
Dec 22, 2006

Hi all,

Was wondering whether someone could give me a hint on how to remove templates in Ms Word 2003. Please skip the standard way of Tool>Templates and Add-ins>uncheck a template or going to the Word startup folder and removing the template manually. There are no templates in there.
What I need to remove are the templates of Houghton Mifflin American Heritage Dictionary and Orfo 2004. On every start of MS Word the Orfo template appears on the white background where text is to be written, so I have to move its toolbar every time.
The main reason for the removal, though, is that is causes the well-known Trados dialog box to appear every time I close the program (do you want to save the changes to TRADOS7.dot?) The question appeared after I installed Orfo 2004.
I searched the computer for *.dot, but found nothing related to ORFO.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Rgrds,
Ara

Direct link Reply with quote

Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:25
English to Swedish
The toolbar Dec 22, 2006

Hello,
Just a few suggestions, might not work at all...

Try deleting the toolbar itself and see if it helps. (Make a backup of Normal.dot before, just in case.)

Your could also check this:
In Word:
Tools>Options>Path tab
See if there is a path given for Workgroup templates, and then either change is or go to the folder to see what it contains.

Another option would be to uninstall Orfo 2004, and maybe re-install and see if there are any choices you can make during installation.

Best regards,
Cecilia

Suzanne Blangsted  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
Danish to English
+ ...
template removal Dec 22, 2006

to avoid the annoying "do you want to save changes to Trados7.dot" you will need to remove the "normal.dot" from word. Word will by itself start up with a new "normal.dot" when the old one is removed. I can only give you this in English.

Click "my computer"
Click "Local disc"
Click "Documents and settings"
Click "your name"
Click "Application data"
Click "Microsoft"
Click "Templates"

In this folder for templates, rename the "normal.dot" old, i.e., "normal.old.dot", OK this, and close the program. Next time Word opens up, you will have a new template and when you close Word, it will not ask you if you want to safe the changes to Trados7.dot.

To be sure you remove the Orfo completely, if you have a CD with that program, you can remove it using the CD, as there are removal programs on the CD. Otherwise go to "start" and click on "add or remove programs" and see if Orfo shows here. The cleanest removal is to use the program removal features from the CD.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing Templates In Word

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs