counting characters in excel
Thread poster: Ivan Kovacs
Ivan Kovacs  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
German to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2007

hello there
i have been translating excel sheets aplenty and now that its coming to billing time i am not sure how to make work count in excel. Saving it as a word (text based) file works but i can only do it to the page that is open and each sheet consists on average of ten pages (paths) and i have to do a count on dozens. So if someone has a good idea on how to count the contents in a more efficient manner - please let me know.
p.s. i work with an xp package
dr ivan

[Edited at 2007-01-10 17:59]

[Edited at 2007-01-10 17:59]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
With a little help of search friends Jan 10, 2007

I found this topic: and also some other posts.
You may also consider usung a counting software, such as PractiCount or AnyCount, or you do an analysis using Trados or any other CAT tool, supporting Excel files.

Best regards

lexical  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
FineCount Jan 10, 2007

You could try FineCount (just Google for it) - there's a perfectly good free version as well as a professional one. It counts in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Acrobat, and you can do a wordcount of multiple documents at once. I use it constantly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

counting characters in excel

Advanced search

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs