Word 2003 does not retain Options setting - help...
Thread poster: Sonia Bartoli
Sonia Bartoli
Sonia Bartoli
United States
Local time: 21:54
English to Italian
Jan 12, 2007

I have Word 2003 (part of MS Office Professional Edition 2003).

I am encountering some extremely annoying little changes that seem to take place behind my back, instead of things just staying as I set them. I am wondering if anyone here is experiencing the same, and if so, if there is a solution out there...

For instance. In the Normal style, I do not want the "Automatically Update" box checked. It generally isn't, but once in a while, right out of the blue, it just app
... See more
I have Word 2003 (part of MS Office Professional Edition 2003).

I am encountering some extremely annoying little changes that seem to take place behind my back, instead of things just staying as I set them. I am wondering if anyone here is experiencing the same, and if so, if there is a solution out there...

For instance. In the Normal style, I do not want the "Automatically Update" box checked. It generally isn't, but once in a while, right out of the blue, it just appears to have checked itself.

The most annoying thing of all happens in the Word file that I use for my invoices. Basically, to create a new invoice, I will find an older one with the correct address, then block it and copy it at the bottom of the file and work on it. When I block and copy, the text loses the multiple hard returns where there are any, leaving just one per line and thus squeezing down the text to a handful of lines. The problem here seems to be that whatever I set up in Tools>Options>Edit>Settings does NOT get retained and always just defaults to "Custom" with *all* the boxes checked. Always. Whereas I think that this should be a file-specific setting (or at least a normal template setting, that should be retained across the board). Anyway, I am at my wits' end with this. Such a waste of time. No other version of Word has ever done this to me.

Anyone experiencing the same? Any solutions you'd like to share?
Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Did you try delete normal.dot Jan 13, 2007

Rather unusual behaviour. The dot-file is in the startup folder of Word. Try to throw it out and start Word anew. You should get back to normal settings.
Actually the settings applied in the tools-menu do not stick in my Word 2003 either. Most annoying is, when someone sends a file with the changes-toolbar. All files I open later show the tool bar too, until I close the toolbar.
Hope someone with better understanding of Word will answer this thread.
Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 does not retain Options setting - help...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »