William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:19
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Jan 23, 2007

Got a hell of a problem which is seriously affecting work

Kaspersky finds nothing

Whenever I get sent a word (or other Office progs) file, I open it, save it, it then appears to be "Archive Only" - I click to disable, this, apply, work on said doc. Later on reopenening (or a client opening it) it either wont open or appears as a series of yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyym or says the path isnt valid or whatever. Any ideas?

This is now happening on both my
... See more
Got a hell of a problem which is seriously affecting work

Kaspersky finds nothing

Whenever I get sent a word (or other Office progs) file, I open it, save it, it then appears to be "Archive Only" - I click to disable, this, apply, work on said doc. Later on reopenening (or a client opening it) it either wont open or appears as a series of yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyym or says the path isnt valid or whatever. Any ideas?

This is now happening on both my computers

Using XP with Office 2003 (recently installed hoping to get rid of prob) on one and 2000 on the other
Collapse

Abdul Wahab (X)
Abdul Wahab (X)
Pakistan
Local time: 11:19
English to Urdu
+ ...
Saving word and other files Jan 23, 2007

Dear

What I could comprehend from your mail is that If you are saving files as archives or compressing them you need to be uncompressed them before directly opening them with word.
If you are saving files and once you try to open these and get yyyyyyyyyyyy it means the moment you try to save files these get corrupted. It may be due to virus , bad media.

Get a suitable virus scanner installed as soon as possible. As regard to corrupted documents, there is a way to
... See more
Dear

What I could comprehend from your mail is that If you are saving files as archives or compressing them you need to be uncompressed them before directly opening them with word.
If you are saving files and once you try to open these and get yyyyyyyyyyyy it means the moment you try to save files these get corrupted. It may be due to virus , bad media.

Get a suitable virus scanner installed as soon as possible. As regard to corrupted documents, there is a way to repair these too.
press CTRL O, a window will open, go to document select it in this window, in right bottom there is an open button with an arrow on its left. Click arrow and in drop down list click on open and repair. In most cases this should do the trick.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:19
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
my 2c Jan 23, 2007

1. if you save the file as RTF, is it the same?
2. Does it happen to other programs / files (Excel?, Notepad?) or is it just word
3. Re "Kaspersky finds nothing" - it's a question, who was there first ... If you installed the scanner, after strange things started to happen, there's a chance Kaspersky was fooled.

To be 100% clean, you need a CDROM to boot from, with virus scanners to hunt through BOTH systems.

... See more
1. if you save the file as RTF, is it the same?
2. Does it happen to other programs / files (Excel?, Notepad?) or is it just word
3. Re "Kaspersky finds nothing" - it's a question, who was there first ... If you installed the scanner, after strange things started to happen, there's a chance Kaspersky was fooled.

To be 100% clean, you need a CDROM to boot from, with virus scanners to hunt through BOTH systems.

See for instance http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102908

Regards

smo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving word and other files as Archive Only

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »