Problem with PDF to RTF conversion
Thread poster: avantix

avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:22
German to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 25, 2007

I want to convert a 160-page PDF-file to RTF-format for translation in TagEditor. My very first attempt, so it could be possible that I am doing something wrong.

I have opened the file in Acrobat 7.0 Professional, used the [Save as] option, renamed the file to xxx.rtf. Then, when I click the [Save] button the message "Acces denied" appears. This happens when I try to save the whole file as one document and also when I try to save each chapter separately.

The option [Security Method] is set to "No security" and [Document Restrictions] are all set to "Allowed".

Just another question: The file has 14 chapters. Would it be wise to save every chapter as a separate file?

Anyone out there who can help? Many thanks in advance.

Herman

Direct link Reply with quote

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 23:22
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try advanced pdf password recovery Jan 26, 2007

http://www.tucows.com/preview/246499

This program allows to decrypt protected Adobe Acrobat PDF files, which have "user" and/or "owner" passwords set, preventing the file from opening or editing, printing, selecting text and graphics etc. If only "owner" password is set, password recovery is not needed at all, but the file is being decrypted instantly (so all restrictions are being removed). "User" password can be recovered using brute-force and dictionary attacks, or instantly from "Owner" password; also, the program supports "key attack" that allows to decrypt PDF files with 40-bit encryption redardless the password length, guaranteed.

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Avoid limited trial version Jan 26, 2007

Hi Avantix,

There has been numerous threads about this in the past.

I tried many many options that were recommended here. Most of them are trial-ware with severe limitations. If you don't want to shell out cash, Advanced PDF Recovery etc will only bring more frustration.

But there is one freeware that works flawlessly: Ghostscript + GSview frontend! You should install both for GUI handling.

Read here for a full rundown:
http://www.proz.com/post/466612#466612

/Jan

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
OCR after unlocking Jan 26, 2007

Hi again,

I forgot the second part of your question. Off course, you have to OCR the PDF after unlocking it with Ghostscript.

There are lots of posts about this on Proz, just search the forum.

This sums up the concensus:
http://www.proz.com/post/420475#420475

Remember that you can buy good commercial OCR software (ie Abbyy and Omnipage) much cheaper on Ebay!
For $10, why go for the cheapo copycats when you can have the leading software for the same price:
http://www.proz.com/post/468664#468664

/Jan

Tomed
Spanish to German
+ ...
plain RTF Jan 26, 2007

Hi Herman,
converting PDF-file into words I find often difficult, even when I use Omnipage - but so far I could access any PDF with it. What happens when you just click and mark the text - then copy it into Words. Then you should have a RTF text as there are security settings.
Thomas

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

FYI Jan 26, 2007

The thread has been moved to Office Applications forum.

avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all... Feb 3, 2007

... for your reactions and tips. Eventually I have decided to download the 14-days trila version of Abbyy and it works more or less perfectly, so I might decide to buy it after the trial period.

I am still wondering, though, why the Acrobat option [Save as...] did not work.

Again: thanks to all!

Herman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with PDF to RTF conversion

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs