Mobile menu

Word incompatibility with older versions?
Thread poster: sylvie malich

sylvie malich
Germany
Local time: 11:27
German to English
Feb 1, 2007

I have Windows XP running with Word 2002 Office. Let me explain my problem: I have gotten an essay back containing (she says) suggestions and comments. I cannot see these comments. I don't even know where to look.

This problem has happened to me before in 2005 that only caused to frustrate both parties. But it was the other way around, he could not see my proofreader's comments and he had a newer version of Word.

Can it be a Word version problem? Are newer Word versions incompatible with older versions?

Or is there somewhere I could click that I haven't discovered yet to reveal these hidden comments?

TIA for your input.

[Edited at 2007-02-01 10:13]

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:27
English to Indonesian
+ ...
view - markup Feb 1, 2007

on the toolbar, click markup in the view menu to display all markups. i'm using mos 2k3, so i don't know whether it is the same for other version.

[Edited at 2007-02-01 10:53]

[Edited at 2007-02-01 10:54]

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same here Feb 1, 2007

I used to have the same problem here. The only thing that worked for me was opening the file in OpenOffice.org.

Sonja

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sonja Feb 1, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

I used to have the same problem here. The only thing that worked for me was opening the file in OpenOffice.org.

Sonja

How does that go, Sonja?

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:27
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Sylvie Feb 1, 2007

Have you tried changing the options in the “Reviewing” toolbar? On the far left there should be the view options, chose “Final Showing Markup”, and next to it there should be a button called “Show”, open it and check the “Comments”.

Henry

GLENN MCBRIDE WITHENSHAW
Mexico
Local time: 04:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
the new Word 2007 is definitely incompatible with some earlier versions Feb 2, 2007

I just installed OFFICE 2007 and I soon had to reinstall Word 2003 because I couldn't open documents published in the DOF in Mexico that are in Word 2x.

I have to open the document in Word 2003 and save it as a 2003 doc. and then I can open it in 2007.

You have to be careful to save a copy of your document as a .doc because Word 2007 documents cannot be opened in any earlier version. They are designated as .docx

The other thing I don't like is that you can no longer scan directly into Word. So if you are translating a manual or something with graphics, you have to scan them to an image program and then insert the image into Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word incompatibility with older versions?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs