ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: Jenny Forbes
Upside-down question marks in Spanish (in MS Word)

Jenny Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2007

Can anyone please tell me how to type an upside-down question mark in Word? I type letters with diacritics by pressing Alt + a combination of numbers on the number pad. I used to be able to get the upside-down question mark by typing Alt +168, but since updating Word, that doesn't work any more.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-05 21:07]

Direct link Reply with quote

TRIDIOM
Spain
Local time: 18:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here is the sign Feb 5, 2007

Hi!

I am not sure about the combination, but sin I am Spanish and I have it in my ketboard, here it is. You can use the copy paste function to paste it into your dos, and make a mew macro with it!

?

Marta

Prokop Vantuch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Insert > Symbol Feb 5, 2007

Hi,

You should be able to do that in Word by going to Insert > Symbol...

There you can find the symbol of the upside-down question mark, click on it once and create your shortcut by clicking on the Shortcut... button. I have a Czech version of Word, so I'm sorry if the names of the buttons or menus are not the same in your version. But this should work.

Prokop
--------
www.joey.cz

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Which version of Word have you got? Feb 5, 2007

Hi Jenny,

The shortcut should work.

At least, the ASCII characters are all present and correct in my Italian-language version of Word 2003.

It might be something very simple, of course. Have you checked that the NumLock key is toggled on before you use the numeric pad on your keyboard, for example? And if you have a laptop, you may have to use a different combination, perhaps involving an Fn (Function) key, to get at the numbers.

As Prokop says, another workaround is to use a symbol, which you could associate to an AutoText routine in Word.

HTH

Giles

Alison Jenner
Switzerland
French to English
+ ...
control + alt + shift + ? Feb 5, 2007

Alt +168 works for me, but the above is an alternative

pma
Local time: 00:24
English to Spanish
Another option: Set keyboard for Sp Feb 5, 2007

I had same problem as I couldn´t find a Spanish keyboard in Singapore and the one I was sent over from Spain got here broken.

I finally configured the keyboard for Spanish and got used to the position of the keys.

If you are using a US keyboard, you have to strike "Shift key" and "plus-sign key" (just on the left side of backspace) at the same time, as though you tried to write a + sign. Then you get the "¿" mark. The key on the left will render the closing question mark "?", same procedure.

Actually, you can use Spanish keyboard configuration for both Spanish and English, so I particularly think I am pretty well off with one keyboard only.
Hope it helps.

[Edited at 2007-02-05 10:06]

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, everyone - problem solved. Feb 5, 2007

Thank you, all, for your useful suggestions. The problem seems to have resolved itself and I can now get the inverted question mark by typing Alt+168 as before. Another of those mysteries.
Yes, I did have the number pad toggle switched on.
And actually I looked through the numerous "insert symbol" options, but couldn't find the upside-down question mark in any of them. Which font set is it in?
However, I did find all sorts of other weird and wondrous symbols, with which I shall henceforth sprinkle my texts ...
And I didn't know about the "shortcut" button, so that was useful too.
Thank you again,
Jenny.

[Edited at 2007-02-05 10:20]

Armando Diaz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
FYI in word there is another way... Feb 5, 2007

In microsoft word, you can try pressing CRTL+ALT+SHIFT+? and you should also be able to get the upside down question mark, but this only works in this software package!

GLENN MCBRIDE WITHENSHAW
Mexico
Local time: 11:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
In Word if you set the language for the text as Spanish Feb 5, 2007

In Word you can set the language for the text - you have to do so in order to enable spelling and grammar check. Once the language is set as Spanish, when you type ? before the sentence it will automatically invert.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

FYI Feb 5, 2007

The thread has been moved to Office Applications forum.

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, everyone Feb 6, 2007

Thank you again, everyone. I now have at least three ways of typing the upside-down question mark - and it works for the upside down exclamation mark too.
Kind regards, Jenny.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upside-down question marks in Spanish (in MS Word)

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexbible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: Completely redesigned user interface Live Preview Inline spell checking Inline formatting and more

More info »