Mobile menu

Converter between Microsoft Office to OpenOffice format
Thread poster: ivaylo

ivaylo  Identity Verified
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Feb 6, 2007

Hi all,

For those who don't know. There is a tool released recently as an Add-in to Microsoft Word (XP, 2003, & 2007) that allows opening and saving documents in ODF rather than the native Open XML format. The tool may also be plugged into OpenOffice that use ODF as default format.
Currently the tool only supports Word/Writer documents. Future releases will also serve Spreadsheet/Excel and Impress/Powerpoint formats.

This new tool/plug in is of special importance for professionals who work with different Document Formats, or whose clients provide one format while their tools support the other. In especially, the Open XML Translator allows professional translators and language service providers to use free and Open Source computer CAT tools like OmegaT together with OpenOffice.

You can download the OpenXML Translator (ODF Add-in for Word) here:

Direct link Reply with quote
Local time: 23:51
English to German
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 6, 2007

Hi thanks for sharing this info. This could be useful for many. Best Brandis

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
English to French
+ ...
Where has this been all my life? Feb 6, 2007

Thanks for sharing this, I can name a dozen users off the top of my head who will find this extremely handy (including myself)!

Craig Meulen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:51
German to English
+ ...
Another option for ODF, ODT conversion Apr 8, 2008

Here's another possibility:

Sun's ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office allows users of Microsoft's product to also open and save ODF (.odt, .ods, and .odp) files in the corresponding Microsoft application.

(I found this information in this vey informative blogpost:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converter between Microsoft Office to OpenOffice format

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs