Thread poster: Ivaylo Ivanov

Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2005)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Feb 6, 2007

Hi all,

For those who don't know. There is a tool released recently as an Add-in to Microsoft Word (XP, 2003, & 2007) that allows opening and saving documents in ODF rather than the native Open XML format. The tool may also be plugged into OpenOffice that use ODF as default format.
Currently the tool only supports Word/Writer documents. Future releases will also serve Spreadsheet/Excel and Impress/Powerpoint formats.

This new tool/plug in is of special importance for professionals who work with different Document Formats, or whose clients provide one format while their tools support the other. In especially, the Open XML Translator allows professional translators and language service providers to use free and Open Source computer CAT tools like OmegaT together with OpenOffice.

You can download the OpenXML Translator (ODF Add-in for Word) here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/odf-converter

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 19:52
English to German
+ ...
Thank you! Feb 6, 2007

Hi thanks for sharing this info. This could be useful for many. Best Brandis

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:52
English to French
+ ...
Where has this been all my life? Feb 6, 2007

Thanks for sharing this, I can name a dozen users off the top of my head who will find this extremely handy (including myself)!

Craig Meulen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:52
German to English
+ ...
Another option for ODF, ODT conversion Apr 8, 2008

Here's another possibility:

Sun's ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office allows users of Microsoft's product to also open and save ODF (.odt, .ods, and .odp) files in the corresponding Microsoft application.

http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin/index.jsp

(I found this information in this vey informative blogpost:

http://lnxwalt.wordpress.com/2007/01/08/opening-odf-odt-ods-odp-etc-files/

)

Craig

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converter between Microsoft Office to OpenOffice format

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs