Mobile menu

Outlook gone mad (retrieving 6-month old emails from one account)
Thread poster: Andrea Riffo

Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:21
English to Spanish
Feb 21, 2007

When I turned my PC on this morning I saw with surprised that outlook was downloading 200+ email.

200+ emails in one night????

Then I realised that it is in fact retrieving all e-mails from one of my accounts... emails that are 6 months old or more and which I already dowloaded when they were first received... has this happened to anyone?

All and any suggestions -short of permanently deleting said mails form the account, because they are important- are welcome :/

Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Chinese to English
Do not "Leave a copy on server" Feb 21, 2007

With Outlook running, go to Tools->E-mail accounts->Change->More settings->Advanced and leave blank "Leave a copy on server", this will download your e-mail from your e-mail server to your PC and delete the server copy.

Caution: If the hard disk of your PC goes bad you will lose your e-mail since the server copy will be deleted going forward.

Use a filter rule of Outlook to only check and download e-mail after a certain date. Tools->Rules and Alerts->E-mail rules->New Rule ...

[Edited at 2007-02-21 18:09]

[Edited at 2007-02-21 18:11]

Chinese to English
Make sure the clocks of your PC are right Feb 22, 2007

There are 2 clocks, one is the clock of your operating system like the lower right corner clock of Windows and another is the BIOS clock on the system board of your PC. The BIOS clock is supported by a shirt-button battery on your system board, it is a lithium battery that should last for a few years. When your PC boots up there is a very brief message on the screen like "Press F1 for system setup." Not all PCs go with F1, it can be F2, or F12, or delete. If the shirt button battery on the system board is low, the BIOS clock can be wrong and the clock of the operating system will likely also go wrong and you will need to replace that battery.

[Edited at 2007-02-22 16:37]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook gone mad (retrieving 6-month old emails from one account)

Advanced search

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs