Two questions about Comments feature of MS Word.
Thread poster: Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 03:24
English to Hindi
+ ...
Feb 22, 2007

I am required to give my comments as replies to the comments of the author. I know it is done by going to Insert and then Comments but some of my comments are coming above the comments of the author, whereas it should be below them. I tried to fix it but in vain. Could you explain the procedure for putting the comments below while replying?

Secondly, how can I give a different colour to the baloon of my comments so that they can be identified easily?

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
place the cursor after the previous comment? Feb 22, 2007

Are you making sure that the cursor is positioned after the "comment mark" in main text before you click on "insert comment"? If the cursor is positioned after the author's comment, the new comment should also appear after the author's...

(By the way, are you using the "reviewing toolbar?" That way you don't need to go to "Insert" on the main menu each time. By making that toolbar visible, you'll be able to click on an icon to insert the comment.)

I don't know if there
... See more
Are you making sure that the cursor is positioned after the "comment mark" in main text before you click on "insert comment"? If the cursor is positioned after the author's comment, the new comment should also appear after the author's...

(By the way, are you using the "reviewing toolbar?" That way you don't need to go to "Insert" on the main menu each time. By making that toolbar visible, you'll be able to click on an icon to insert the comment.)

I don't know if there is a way to change the color of the comment in the balloon. Maybe someone else can help with that.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:54
English to Spanish
Answer to one of your questions Feb 22, 2007

Place the cursor after the insertion point of the previous comment, i.e., at the end of the word or in the blank space between the commented text and the next word. Then Insert your comment. That should insert your comment balloon in the correct place.

As for the color, you can assign a different color to the balloons, but it seems there is no way of doing what you wish; the change will apply to all balloons, regardless of the author. However, your initials (you can specify them in
... See more
Place the cursor after the insertion point of the previous comment, i.e., at the end of the word or in the blank space between the commented text and the next word. Then Insert your comment. That should insert your comment balloon in the correct place.

As for the color, you can assign a different color to the balloons, but it seems there is no way of doing what you wish; the change will apply to all balloons, regardless of the author. However, your initials (you can specify them in Tools / Options / User information) will appear on the comment so it is easy to see whose comment each is. Giving the balloon a different color for each reader is a neat idea, though.

[Edited at 2007-02-22 18:19]
Collapse

Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 03:24
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestions, but... Feb 22, 2007

sometimes, my comments goes above the author's comment even if I place my cursor after the word or phrase selected by him.

Mihaela BUFNILA
Mihaela BUFNILA  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 00:54
English to Romanian
+ ...
a possible answer to the other Feb 22, 2007

Go to the Show button on the Reviewing bar, then to the Options, there is a Comments color option there, select By author and you can be as different as you like - I hope

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 23:54
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Colour can be made to change with the reviewer Feb 22, 2007

Mihaela BUFNILA wrote:

...there is a Comments color option there, select By author...

Yes, exactly, that works; each time a different person reviews, the colour changes.

If necessary, you can also manually change the type colour (not the B/G) of the comment using right click / font / colour

It's odd about the comment position being wrong! I have occasionally noticed some inconsistencies in the way they display, but normally putting the cursor in the right place produces predictable results.

Do note, though, that if you put your cursor within the 'comment marker' highlight of the previous commentator, it is likely to put your comment first; so make sure you are always well clear of the end of the marked zone

Could it be a character-set related problem? I don't know if maybe you are using a non-Roman character set, in which case, perhaps there is some anomaly? I once got horribly caught out, because for some reason a document I was given had text boxes configured for Arabic right-to-left text, which confused me no end when I came to edit the [Roman] text in them!

[Edited at 2007-02-22 20:45]

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
after the inserted comment number? Feb 23, 2007

Sanjiv Sadana wrote:

sometimes, my comments goes above the author's comment even if I place my cursor after the word or phrase selected by him.

Perhaps I'm not following what you are saying, but you need to place your cursor after the comment note number, not simply after the word or phrase selected by the author.

I'm glad you asked these questions ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two questions about Comments feature of MS Word.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »