Mobile menu

Changing spellchecker’s dictionary
Thread poster: xxxInes Cas
Mar 1, 2007

Hi all,
I use the Microsoft Proofing tools spellchecker (Word 2003) and by mistake I have added a word that is incorrect to the dictionary. Could someone kindly tell me if there is a way of viewing the words I have added myself to the dictionary and how can I delete the incorrect word?

Direct link Reply with quote
Luiza Modesto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Deleting a word Mar 1, 2007

My MSWord is in English. Go to "Tools", "Options", click on the "Spelling&Grammar" tab, click on "Custom Dictionaries" button then on "Modify". Look for the word you entered and delete it. Good luck.

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Custom.dic Mar 2, 2007

Custom.dic is the default name of the file containing all the user-added words.

Find the location of the file (using Windows Explorer) and make a backup copy. This is just to be safe.

This is a text file with one word per line. You can edit it using the Windows Notepad or even MS Word (you have to save it as a text file if you edit it in Word).

It is useful to go through the custom.dic file on foot, so to speak, and weed out any other words you may have added that you don't need anymore.

Pawel Skalinski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing spellchecker’s dictionary

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs