Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:44
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 11, 2007

I had this problem with both Word XP and Word 2007 when I produce a Word file using Tageditor through "save target as ...". My source language is English and the target language is Arabic. When I open the file, I find the Arabic text direction inconsistent, with some words split such that the begining of the word maybe at the end of the line (to the left) and the rest of the word at the beginning of the line (at the right).

When I select the text, I find that Word identifies the te
... See more
I had this problem with both Word XP and Word 2007 when I produce a Word file using Tageditor through "save target as ...". My source language is English and the target language is Arabic. When I open the file, I find the Arabic text direction inconsistent, with some words split such that the begining of the word maybe at the end of the line (to the left) and the rest of the word at the beginning of the line (at the right).

When I select the text, I find that Word identifies the text language as German (in this case my client is a German agency), although the text is Arabic. I try to change the language of the selected text, which Word allows me to do withough reporting any problems, but when I am done, I find that Word still reports the text language as German as if nothing was done. I also had documents from other clients in which the language appeared as Spanish, although there was not a single word in Spanish or German in either document, I only work in Arabic and English.

BTW, if I add text manually to the document, Word shows the correct language for it.

I hope I explained the problem well, and I do hope someone can help.

Thanks.

[Edited at 2007-03-11 15:55]
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 08:44
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
'select all' text before setting language Mar 11, 2007

I don't have specific experience using the exact-same set-up you're using, but I have had similar quirky problems with language setting in documents in general (in various versions of Word). I assume it is due to stray attribute tags getting left in the doc.

What I have found to be a cure in almost all cases is to 'select all' the text, and re-set it globally to the desired language; this appears to 'clean out' any stray codes that may have got left in (happens a lot when cuttin
... See more
I don't have specific experience using the exact-same set-up you're using, but I have had similar quirky problems with language setting in documents in general (in various versions of Word). I assume it is due to stray attribute tags getting left in the doc.

What I have found to be a cure in almost all cases is to 'select all' the text, and re-set it globally to the desired language; this appears to 'clean out' any stray codes that may have got left in (happens a lot when cutting-and-pasting beteen docs, for example...)

Good luck!

(as a footnote, I had the reverse problem once when someone had used text bowes in a doc. that were all set to AR language, even though filled with EN text; in that case, editing them became very interesting, until the moment when I discovered what was wrong!)
Collapse

Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:44
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Select all is only way out Mar 11, 2007

Ahalan Alaa,
In Hebrew I often used to have the same problem, with my text bobbing all over the page. I agree that the "select all" seems to work best...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word fails to change text language

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »