Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2007

Hi all,

AFAIK, there's no CAT tool on the market today with native support for the DOCX format.

(I know Trados 2007 is supposed to handle DOCS, but it's not out yet)

Translating these today invariably means converting them back to DOC.

I have a hunch that this means data loss, some advanced formatting is not available. But exactly which features are lost in the conversion???

I had expected Microsoft to have a documentation of this, but maybe I've been looking at the wrong place.

I've only found third party anecdotal references so far:
http://www.legalmacros.com/docs/CCC%20Office%202007%20Guide.pdf

"In Office 2007, you can save files in a backward-compatible Office 97-2003 file format. However, any new document features or components that are available only in Office 2007 will be altered or lost. If you open files created in earlier versions, they will open in Compatibility mode, which means they remain in Office 97-2003 format. Any features that are new in 2007 automatically will be unavailable."

Anyone here on proz with firsthand experience with this?

Thanks,

Jan

[Edited at 2007-03-27 14:52]

Direct link Reply with quote

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
English to Spanish
DOCX is supported natively by CAT tools Mar 27, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:
AFAIK, there's no CAT tool on the market today with native support for the DOCX format.

Hi,

Heartsome's tools support DOCX and all Office 2007 formats natively since July 2006.

Microsoft released documentation and beta versions of Office 2007 with enough anticipation to let CAT developers support the new format.

Best regards,
Rodolfo

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:00
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Mar 28, 2007

Hi Rodolfo,

That's extremely good news!
Now I only wish that more translators would make sure that they list Heartsome in their profile, so that it's searchable for us as an agency...

Can you elaborate what data Heartsome will salvage, that other CAT tools miss out on because of the back-conversion!?

/Jan

Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
English to Spanish
Depends on the tool Mar 28, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:
Can you elaborate what data Heartsome will salvage, that other CAT tools miss out on because of the back-conversion!?

Hi Jan,

Actually this depends on the CAT tool and I can't tell you what other programs will miss.

Microsoft's back-converter save files using the new RTF 1.9 format or its binary equivalent (.doc). Old versions of Word don't understand many features introduced in RTF 1.9 and simply ignore them. That's why Microsoft warns you that saving in an old format implies data loss.

You should not only look for a tool that supports the new Office 2007 XML format. You also need to check if your CAT tool supports the latest version of RTF produced by Office 2007.

Most CAT tools that support Microsoft Office depend on Office running in background for extracting text. If you have an old version of Office, not all translatable text will be extracted. However, the missing parts will vary from tool to tool.

Best regards,
Rodolfo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DOCX > DOC = data loss?

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs