Is there a way to change the reviewer's name while editing a file in Word?
Thread poster: Natalie
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:37
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 28, 2007

Hi all,

I am editing somebody's translation. The file is long, and I am carrying it with me on a disk and working here and there, when time allows. But as I have worked at it at several computers, the list of the reviewers includes different names. Is there any possibility to change this somehow?

Thanks,
Natalia

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try searching back... Mar 28, 2007

Natalia, this very point came up not all that long ago, and I believe there were some helpful tips offered, though unfortunately, I can't remember what they were!

Perhaps you could look back in the forum archives? If it's any help, I think it was probably in this very forum...

Yes, look, here's the topic, see if that helps you:

http://www.proz.com/topic/66778

... See more
Natalia, this very point came up not all that long ago, and I believe there were some helpful tips offered, though unfortunately, I can't remember what they were!

Perhaps you could look back in the forum archives? If it's any help, I think it was probably in this very forum...

Yes, look, here's the topic, see if that helps you:

http://www.proz.com/topic/66778

[Edited at 2007-03-28 21:15]
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Great! Mar 28, 2007

Thanks a bunch, Tony!

Natalia

Buzzy
Buzzy
French to English
You could also put identical names for each Word programme Mar 28, 2007

I work on two different computers and used to get two different reviewer's names on the changes - but after changing the user name in Word to the same for both computers (through Tools - Options - User) I can take the file from one to another and all changes are marked as if from the same source.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Sure I can - but... Mar 28, 2007

...only in the case when computers are mine and I can do there whatever I like. But I sometimes use computers that aren't mine (for example, at work, or in the library)

mjbjosh
mjbjosh
English to Latvian
+ ...
CTRL+ /CTRL+V/CTRL+S Mar 28, 2007

Natalie wrote:

...only in the case when computers are mine and I can do there whatever I like. But I sometimes use computers that aren't mine (for example, at work, or in the library)

The only thing I can imagine, is copying and pasting the text in the Word copy that is youtr own and shows your name. Do that when you're finished, save the file and voila, you have your name being sown in all the respective fields.

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:37
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Natalie Mar 29, 2007

In such cases I just turn off the Track Changes mode and work on the document. After it is done I hit Tools > Compare and Merge Documents and select the unedited document to compare with. All the changes are highlighted immediately and the name of one editor appears.

I hope this helps,

Henry

PS. If you have already edited some part of the document, you can just Accept All Changes and continue with Track Changes Mode off.

[Edited at 2007-03-29 06:37]

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:37
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Remove personal information Mar 29, 2007

The option that worked for me after posting the thread referred to in a previous answer is going to Tools, Options, and ticking Remove personal information from the file, which will remove all the names and dates but leave the changes intact.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for feedback! Mar 29, 2007

Thanks a lot, anne, for taking the trouble to report back; it's so helpful for all of us as potential future users!

(not to say rewarding for thread contributors!)

Simon Sobrero
Simon Sobrero  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
EASY EMERGENCY REPAIR.... Jun 10, 2009

http://www.officearticles.com/word/change_previous_author_in_microsoft_word.htm

....explains how to find and replace these things..... interesting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to change the reviewer's name while editing a file in Word?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »