Mobile menu

Word XP documents get corrupted !
Thread poster: gilkain
gilkain
Local time: 20:07
English to French
+ ...
Mar 29, 2007

For a few days, we have been experiencing something very strange with our Word documents. For an unknown reason, when we open a Word document, after a few seconds, a whole bunch of strange characters suddenly appear and corrupt the document. This happens on several PCs. I scanned the documents using several well-known anti-virus tools and everything is fine. We did not modify any settings on our PCs (XP XP2, Office XP SP2).
Did one of you already see something like that ?
I can email you an test file to show you if you leave me your email address. I already spent a lot of time trying to fix the problem but I was not successful.
Any idea ?

Direct link Reply with quote

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:07
English to Indonesian
+ ...
ooo Mar 29, 2007

try to open it with openoffice.org. it's a free office suite that can be downloaded from the site bearing the same name.

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
Strange characters Mar 29, 2007

With "strange characters", do you mean this: ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ?
I have this problem too with Word XP, a lot of crashes and when I reopen the document, the last sentence is full of ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ (hidden characters). I delete all those hidden characters and then I can work again with the file, it's not corrupted, but it's annoying because it regularly happens.
I have no idea why, I'd be thankful for any help too.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I am asking for trouble (g) Mar 29, 2007

... but you can send me as file....

Francoise Perigaut
Germany
German to French
+ ...
- Apr 4, 2007

Did you find a solution to your problem?
As for me, I switched back to Word 2000, too many problems with Word XP.
Even the import of Word documents in Transit didn't work properly anymore, I always had warnings and filtering problems and then strange ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ in the exported file.
Everything works fine again with Word 2000, I lost so much time trying to solve this problem!

(I first thought Multiterm 7 would work better with Word XP, but I still had the same "run time error" anyway.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word XP documents get corrupted !

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs