Thread poster: Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun
Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:52
Danish to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2007

I was wondering...

When you attach a document to an e-mail in Outlook, are you attaching a shortcut to the document or are you 'uploading' the document, i.e. in effect copying it?

Tina

afiori6
afiori6
Local time: 01:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Outlook Attachments Apr 24, 2007

Hi Tina,

Yes you are correct in your thinking.

What you are doing when you attach a document is creating a copy of it.

So all those emails you have in your sent items with attachements are copies of files. They are however stored in a special Outlook file on your harddrive.

If you need a more IT geek response let me know

Regards
Afiori

[Edited at 2
... See more
Hi Tina,

Yes you are correct in your thinking.

What you are doing when you attach a document is creating a copy of it.

So all those emails you have in your sent items with attachements are copies of files. They are however stored in a special Outlook file on your harddrive.

If you need a more IT geek response let me know

Regards
Afiori

[Edited at 2007-04-24 18:27]

[Edited at 2007-04-24 18:27]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:52
English to French
+ ...
Yes, you attach the actual document Apr 24, 2007

In fact, you attach a copy of the document. All of its parameters are inherited. This goes for all properties, for example, the author and editing times (whoever you send it to can "spy" on you by looking at document properties). Password protection is also inherited.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:52
Polish to English
+ ...
Copy Apr 24, 2007

You are copying the document into the Outlook file.
If you delete the original file from the hard drive, the file will still be "sitting" in the Outlook file (Outlook.pst).

I actually managed to recover an older version of a file I needed, having overwritten the old version while working on it. The old file was sitting in the e-mail I sent out a few days earlier.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Tina Colquhoun
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 24, 2007

Thanks, I've learnt something today.

So many times I've attached a finished translation to the delivery e-mail and thought 'Oh! I've just forgotten to check for double spacing...' or something and gone back to the original file on my desktop, corrected/changed that and not been sure about whether the changes would then be contained in the attachment (which they would have been if the shortcut answer had been right). I always thought I was being pernickety by clearing the attachment
... See more
Thanks, I've learnt something today.

So many times I've attached a finished translation to the delivery e-mail and thought 'Oh! I've just forgotten to check for double spacing...' or something and gone back to the original file on my desktop, corrected/changed that and not been sure about whether the changes would then be contained in the attachment (which they would have been if the shortcut answer had been right). I always thought I was being pernickety by clearing the attachment and then 'uploading' it again. I see that I was not.

I wonder now whether I really did it every time...as I was leaning towards the 'shortcut' explanation.

Thanks again!

Tina

[Edited at 2007-04-24 19:24]
Collapse

Henrik Pipoyan
Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:52
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Hi Tina Apr 24, 2007

It's the copy of the file, as my colleagues stated above. Please note, however, that this copy becomes an independent file ONLY after you send the message, in other words, only after the message moves to the Sent Items folder. If you delete the original file before sending the message, you'll lose both files; and if you make a change in the attachment and save it before sending the message, the change will be saved in the original file as well.

Tina Colquhoun
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again Apr 24, 2007

What I want to know is - what happens if I wrote the e-mail, uploaded the attachment, made changes IN THE ORIGINAL and then sent the e-mail and its attachment?

You are in effect saying that the file is ONE file until it is sent. Is that right? So that would mean that you could make changes in either and both (both still being one) would be updated as long as you hadn't sent anything yet.

Tina

Henrik Pipoyan
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
You are right Apr 24, 2007

This is one file until you have sent it. So if you have made changes in the original before sending the message, all the changes were saved in the attachment as well.

You can try it. Just create a file typing a single word in it and attach it to a message. Then re-open the original and add another word. After you save and close the file, you can open the attachment and see that the word was added in the attachment too.

Henry

Henrik Pipoyan
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
Sorry I was wrong Apr 24, 2007

I just checked it. In fact it becomes an independent file after you press the "Send" button, i.e., after you send it to the Outbox. As long as the message is open and you haven't pressed the "Send" button, it's one file.

Henry

Tina Colquhoun
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, almost the same thing... Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for your thorough investigation!

Tina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook attachments

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »