PDF to Word math formula

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:35
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2007

HELP, please. I'm translating a paper from Sp to English with tons of exponents. The big problem is when the exponent is part of a fraction. How do I reproduce this? I've tried copying the section of text from the PDF and pasting it using different fonts from the original document but it doesn't seem to work.

Two examples are a to the power of -n = 1 over a to the power of n, or a to the power of m over n.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:35
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Apr 30, 2007

Can't you paste the formulas as images?

Natalia

samehme
United States
Local time: 14:35
Member (2004)
English to Arabic
+ ...
MS Equation Editor Apr 30, 2007

Hi,

In MS Word 2003, go to the Insert menu and Click on Object, then scroll down until you see Microsoft Equation 3.0.

If it is not there, then update the installation of MS Word from the Office CD and you should be able to edit any kind of formulas.

Good Luck,

Sameh

Mexico
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a bunch... Apr 30, 2007

Natalie, unfortunately you can't just cut and paste even as an image because it messes up the format of the equation.

I've found the equation help that you suggested, Sameh, and I'm playing around with it now. Will let you know how I get on.....thanks again.

[Edited at 2007-04-30 19:18]

Mexico
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A godsend!!! Apr 30, 2007

This is so cool!!
Thanks, Sameh, you're a lifesaver....

franksf
Chinese to English
LaTeX May 2, 2007

Hi. For serious equation editing please consider a tool called LaTeX (http://www.latex-project.org/) which I think is a more natural equation editor than Word. To give you a feel of what it looks like your examples in LaTeX are $a^{-n}={1\over {a^n}}$ and ${a^m \over n}$, respectively. What I like the most is that I don't have to use pointer (mouse) at all as everything can be done by keyboard. There are LaTeX Word convertors, e.g., http://www.grindeq.com/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Mark Thompson[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF to Word math formula

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL AutoSuggest Creator Add-on
Speed up manual translations with sub-segment matching

AutoSuggest accelerates translation editing in SDL Trados Studio 2014 through intelligent sub-segment matching suggestions while you type.

More info »