Mobile menu

How to find the text between certain characters in Word?
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:11
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
May 11, 2007

I'm looking for the possibility to find text as such:
{91409CA0-910D-11D2-A4DA-00104B026EFA} 20070511092146 |FMT - Text#Q:\Focke\TRANSITREF\Polnisch\Bhb_550_701\pl01visu020070314085238䀀8
in Word.
What I woul like to do is to find everything between two such characters "" and replace this with the same, formatted as tw4winExternal.

When I put "*" into the search field and activate "use wildcards", Word finds nothing. Searching for  however works fine. Now what am I doing wrong?

The problem is, that I have two documents, one in German and one in Polish, each 3 MB, with such structure, and would like to align them. But I dont need all this information within * to be aligned too.

Thank you for any hints
Jerzy

Direct link Reply with quote

Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Escape character May 11, 2007

I'm not sure I am reading you correctly (code problem?), but you might try to use the Escape character, ie \

For instance, if I want to find "" in a "use wildcards" search, I must write

\\>

HTH

Addition: I myself have problems with codes. I'll try again

escape char+lessthan+asterisk+greaterthan+escape char+greaterthan

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

I'm looking for the possibility to find text as such:
{91409CA0-910D-11D2-A4DA-00104B026EFA} 20070511092146 |FMT - Text#Q:\Focke\TRANSITREF\Polnisch\Bhb_550_701\pl01visu020070314085238䀀8
in Word.
What I woul like to do is to find everything between two such characters "" and replace this with the same, formatted as tw4winExternal.

When I put "*" into the search field and activate "use wildcards", Word finds nothing. Searching for  however works fine. Now what am I doing wrong?

The problem is, that I have two documents, one in German and one in Polish, each 3 MB, with such structure, and would like to align them. But I dont need all this information within * to be aligned too.

Thank you for any hints
Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-05-11 17:01]

[Edited at 2007-05-11 17:04]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What do you mean with "Escape" character? May 11, 2007

Is this the backslash?

Jerzy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Okay, I see - you used lt and gt character from the keyboard instead of html entities May 11, 2007

I'm not sure I am reading you correctly (code problem?), but you might try to use the Escape character, ie \ For instance, if I want to find "<anything>" in a "use wildcards" search, I must write \<*>\>

This is how your text should look like.
Instead of pressing the < sign on the keyboard you need to enter the html entity for lt,which is "& lt ;" (without the spaces and quotation marks).

But nevertheless, this doesn't work either.
I need to find all characters between those "boxes" (). When I just look for one of them, Word does find them, but as far I start to look for any character in between (*), the search doesn't work.

Jerzy

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Escape character May 11, 2007

Maurizio is right. The question mark itself is a special character that matches any character. To search for a question mark, you need to escape it with backslash. This will find any characters between two question marks, if "Use wildcards" is checked:

\?*\?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But now I'm not looking for question marks... May 11, 2007

but for those ominous "squares" (boxes).
Here is a screenshot of what I wanna find:

I need to mark all green highlighted text as non translatable or even delete it.
This is a Tranist extract, and I simply need it aligned with the corresponding target language extract, to use them later for translation of other Transit files in Trados.
So if there is someone having a tool for creating a tmx (or similar) export from such extract, I wouldn't say no to a helping hand.

Thank you very much in advance
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
It did smell like Transit ... May 11, 2007

Hi Jerzy: why dont you get some good soul export the stuff from Transit via TMX? Heinrich (I think) did it once for me.

Anyhow ...If there's no other way, here's my suggestion - start of it -

The green blocks seem to start with ^?^?^?^?Q:

Assuming it ends with a carriage return line feed (well, I know it does not, I am just trying to help) then the search string (wiuth wild cards) would be

^?^?^?^?Q:[!^13]@^13

except it is possibly not, I do not think ^? works with wild cards. In any case, you can replace (without wild cards!)

^?^?^?^?Q:

with

Q:

effectively deleting the 4 unprintables (the transit record numbers) at the beginning

PS: I do have a full blown Transit somewhere, so before you get desperate, I can fire it up; still it would be simpler if you re-post with a title "HELP NEEDED 4 TRANSIT 2 TMX" and it should not take a colleague 5 minutes to have it for you.

[Edited at 2007-05-11 19:51]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't work :( May 11, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

Hi Jerzy: why dont you get some good soul export the stuff from Transit via TMX? Heinrich (I think) did it once for me.

Anyhow ...If there's no other way, here's my suggestion - start of it -

The green blocks seem to start with ^?^?^?^?Q:

Assuming it ends with a carriage return line feed (well, I know it does not, I am just trying to help) then the search string (wiuth wild cards) would be

^?^?^?^?Q:[!^13]@^13

except it is possibly not, I do not think ^? works with wild cards. In any case, you can replace (without wild cards!)

^?^?^?^?Q:

with

Q:

effectively deleting the 4 unprintables (the transit record numbers) at the beginning

PS: I do have a full blown Transit somewhere, so before you get desperate, I can fire it up; still it would be simpler if you re-post with a title "HELP NEEDED 4 TRANSIT 2 TMX" and it should not take a colleague 5 minutes to have it for you.

[Edited at 2007-05-11 19:51]

Exactly, it doesn't.
I would very welcome someone to convert me my extract files to tmx.
Thank you

Regards
Jerzy

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reposting may be easier... May 11, 2007

but then it would mean always the same: asking for help
I would like to get a solution for that myself without buying Transit.
Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion. I shall try that.

Have a great weekend
Jerzy

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Characters May 11, 2007

Oops, I'm sorry. My Firefox displays the rectangle characters in your post as question marks. Now I understand what you mean.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to find the text between certain characters in Word?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs