Good luck!
[addsig]

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:19
English to German
+ ...
Yes, and do a search in the forums, please..., Dec 25, 2002

before asking questions that have been discussed a hundred times...

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
You should check the forums Dec 26, 2002

because you\'ll read counting Power Pint words using file properties can give you an erroneous wordcount (and not by one or two words). Some people contributed with different other methos for this kind of word counting.

Good luck!!!

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:19
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
erroneous wordcount? Dec 26, 2002

It turns out that the \"Trados method\" also counts the words in the notes which very often need not to be translated. See for instanc the conversation I lately had with a client (\"X\"):

Dear Henk,

I\'m wondering about your word count for the project Y. How did you count it? I got only 8006 words.

Dear X,

I found out how I got my numbers. I used the option \"Presentations Statistics\" from the menu \"Trados\" in the T-window for Powe
... See more
It turns out that the \"Trados method\" also counts the words in the notes which very often need not to be translated. See for instanc the conversation I lately had with a client (\"X\"):

Dear Henk,

I\'m wondering about your word count for the project Y. How did you count it? I got only 8006 words.

Dear X,

I found out how I got my numbers. I used the option \"Presentations Statistics\" from the menu \"Trados\" in the T-window for PowerPoint. Trados then makes a different txt document with statistics.

Please find attached these txt files. I think this is a reliable method for getting statistics, but I have to confess that I don\'t know why the numbers differ from the Powerpoint method [File>Porperties>tab Statistics]

Dear Henk,

I have counted the words as follows: PPT => PDF => RTF. We did a little experiment with your method to the file number 3 which had the greatest difference. It revealed that it counts also the notes texts which do not include in the translated texts, not to mention that they are partly Finnish! Since this does not seem to be a very reliable way to count the words in this case, I suggest that we implement the traditional

PPT-PDF-RTF method which should be quite near to the real count.

I think this explans partly why some people are talking about erronous wordcounts.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount in Power Point

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »