Returning to original spot in Writer from Open Office
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 10:17
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 14, 2007

I appreciate being able to highlight a phrase and then do a search and replace by simply hitting CTL F or whatever, without having to cut and paste as in Word. However, I need to quickly go back where I started this operation. Instead the cursor now halts at the last replacement instance. How do you quickly return to your orginal spot. WordPerfect has a return button, Word does it automatically, then how is it done in Writer?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
AFAIK, no such option May 15, 2007

I do the following trick: undo the last action (Ctrl+Z), then redo (Ctrl+Y). Normally, this brings me to the last point. But not always.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
German to English
+ ...
Feature request May 15, 2007

Asked on OpenOffice forum:

www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=225588

It looks as if it has been a feature request for over four-and-a-half years:

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=8288

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:17
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Use a special marker May 15, 2007

In general, I don't rely on Word to bring me back to the starting point of a global search and I provide a marker myself. I leave a special group of characters, usually @@@ at the starting point, and then I can quickly return to it when I have completed my search and replace operation, simply running a search for @@@.

Sometimes, during a search operation, I find other terms or details to change or, at least, to check globally, and rather than annotating them in a piece of paper, or
... See more
In general, I don't rely on Word to bring me back to the starting point of a global search and I provide a marker myself. I leave a special group of characters, usually @@@ at the starting point, and then I can quickly return to it when I have completed my search and replace operation, simply running a search for @@@.

Sometimes, during a search operation, I find other terms or details to change or, at least, to check globally, and rather than annotating them in a piece of paper, or interrupt the current operation, I leave another marker (it could be again @@@) and later I will be able to easily find again all marked terms and perform the necessary checks.

The same technique I use when leaving a document to continue later, in the same day, or the next day. I leave a marker (this time, my habit is to place a @@@@@ marker). When I reopeni the document, a quick search for @@@@@ brings me immediately to the starting point.

Needless to say, anything placed in the document must be cleared before delivery, but that becomes quickly a habit, in particular as I use always the same symbols.

bye
Gianfranco
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still in the design phase after all these years?! May 15, 2007

Thanks for the feedback.

Kinda depressing though that such an elementary feature is absent. It is particularly of importance to translators, I would say (if you do not use a CAT tool). Just replacing a word globally such as "und" in German with "and" in English is a humongous time-saver in terms of keystrokes. Only Word for Windows seems to have this feature, but then it won't copy a highlighted phrase automatically into the search windows, which is a drag. I wonder if Word 2007
... See more
Thanks for the feedback.

Kinda depressing though that such an elementary feature is absent. It is particularly of importance to translators, I would say (if you do not use a CAT tool). Just replacing a word globally such as "und" in German with "and" in English is a humongous time-saver in terms of keystrokes. Only Word for Windows seems to have this feature, but then it won't copy a highlighted phrase automatically into the search windows, which is a drag. I wonder if Word 2007 has taken care of this particular problem.

The insertion of bookmarks, quickmarks, etc. to return to your spot via multiple additional keystrokes is frankly a chore if you do maybe a hundred such global search and replaces in a large document and as you go, so to speak.

I've been contemplating switching from Word - which lumps around with old clumsy legacy features dating back to the 80s (just one of my peeves concerning this program) - to these other word processors, but unless this feature is simply there it is unfortunately impractical.

I don't know if anybody noticed, but text seems always to display more clearly in Word than in Writer, WordPerfect, etc. Any truth to this, and if so, then why?
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
German to English
+ ...
Navigator May 15, 2007

The way to return to one's original position, it seems, is to use Navigator.

With the cursor still in the position to which you wish it to return bring up Navigator (Edit>Navigator or F5) and click the paper-clip symbol. Carry out the "Search and Replace" then click the button in the middle of the arrows below the scroll-bar on the main document window. Click the paper-clip icon and then the up arrows on the top right of the dialogue.

(This information from the continu
... See more
The way to return to one's original position, it seems, is to use Navigator.

With the cursor still in the position to which you wish it to return bring up Navigator (Edit>Navigator or F5) and click the paper-clip symbol. Carry out the "Search and Replace" then click the button in the middle of the arrows below the scroll-bar on the main document window. Click the paper-clip icon and then the up arrows on the top right of the dialogue.

(This information from the continuing discussion of this topic on the OpenOffice forum where a link to a useful macro has also been given. Information also in the OpenOffice Help files - if one searches hard enough, of course.)
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Benefit of quickmark for certain languages. May 17, 2007

Actually, it dawned upon me that the insertion of a bookmark, especially a quickmark (as done in WordPerfect), is a boon when you work with languages structured differently than English, e.g., German. You could insert this mark, but quickly, i.e., no extensive keystroke sequence, when you've decided to move stuff from another place in a large sentence to where you currently are through cutting and pasting of replaced text. It can be bewildering to locate the spot you wanted the cut text exactl... See more
Actually, it dawned upon me that the insertion of a bookmark, especially a quickmark (as done in WordPerfect), is a boon when you work with languages structured differently than English, e.g., German. You could insert this mark, but quickly, i.e., no extensive keystroke sequence, when you've decided to move stuff from another place in a large sentence to where you currently are through cutting and pasting of replaced text. It can be bewildering to locate the spot you wanted the cut text exactly to go, but with the quickmark you could quickly back track.

In German, typically the verb needs to be brought forward in a subordinate clause, but other elements also need rearrangement, come out of their nested or embedded place.

Word for Windows has a bookmark feature, which requires an array of steps to be undertaken, so it is out. I am not sure Navigator in OpenOffice Writer does not do the same, or there is a macro to simplify it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Returning to original spot in Writer from Open Office

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »