Mobile menu

Virtual ruler device sought!
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:24
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 17, 2007

I now work entirely paperlessly (with a huge monitor in front of me allowing multiple applciations/windows to be open simultaneously). Unfortunately, this has entailed a simple problem in need of a simple solution. With a so-called copyholder for your sheets of paper, you usually had a sliding ruler that you positioned under the place you were currently reading from.

How to do this on a screen eludes me. In Adobe Acrobat you could use a so-called loupe tool, a red oblong box that can be placed flexibly under the text you are reading, but I have found nothing in any of the almost supersonic word processing programs by now that allows this simple thing to happen, and I can't help wondering why.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Direct link Reply with quote

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Wordfisher May 17, 2007

I don't know a tool that will do what you want, but if you are working in Word I can suggest Wordfisher, a set of macros that will enable you to accomplish the same end in a slightly different way; that is, allow you to keep track of where you are, and compare source and target files without losing your place. You can have the source and target files open at the same time, and the source file will scroll automatically to keep pace as you move through the target file. As a bonus, your place will be automatically bookmarked when you close the file, so that when you reopen the file, the entry point will be at the point you left it.

Edited to add: I bought Wordfisher back when it used to cost $30 (USD) and I considered it a good investment. Now the price is even better: free.

[Edited at 2007-05-17 23:29]

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfisher, must have? May 17, 2007

Sounds good, still more to learn, though. I hope it will not be for naught.

Currently, I am inserting the @ sign if a particular long sentence in the source document is meandering along, as they often do in German and Finnish, and your eyes wander back and forth between the source and target windows. It certainly is easy to lose your spot that way.

Supplemental comment/query:

I am being advised from another source about a program called JR Screen Ruler to be downloaded at http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jruler.htm, however, my browser says it's a potential harmful site due to malware.

One other thing I could do, if it only were possible, is to save a Word file or other format file in PDF format, and use the loupe tool, which is actually quite adequate.

New question then: Can a word processing file be save in PDF by some tool out there?

[Edited at 2007-05-18 01:07]

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:24
German to English
+ ...
OpenOffice May 18, 2007

Yngve Roennike wrote:

New question then: Can a word processing file be save in PDF by some tool out there?

OpenOffice can export a word-processing file as a .pdf (File>Export as PDF... or click the icon in the toolbar).

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 09:24
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Draw a line May 18, 2007

in Words, beef up the thickness and color it red (or what you prefer). You can move it independently from the text. And no extras needed. A short makro for jumping it to the next line maybe.

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Highlighting, yes... May 18, 2007

Actually, highlighting text (a couple of lines) and using the color feature, which is just a click away in Word, may just do the trick, as suggested by the last respondent (I am not sure I understood the part about moving independently from the text). You then simply hit Ctl Z to undo the highlighting and color, and move forward.

I don't know if I should go to the site I mentioned, looks interesting, but I'd rather not risk exposing my computer. Has anyone tried it, not that I am inviting you to do so, if potentially hazardous.

Many thanks to all so far,
YR

[Edited at 2007-05-18 17:18]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 07:24
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I think you misunderstood May 18, 2007

In MS Word, you can draw any graphics (say, a thick line or a narrow rectangle), colour it as you like and mouse-drag it freely in the grahic layer ("above" the text). Is that what you are looking for?

Antonin

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More good options ... May 19, 2007

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

In MS Word, you can draw any graphics (say, a thick line or a narrow rectangle), colour it as you like and mouse-drag it freely in the grahic layer ("above" the text). Is that what you are looking for?

Antonin

Okay, so now I have too good options on the table.
I could not immediately locate the drawing box, but there was a text box that could easily be inserted and dragged horizontally and diminished vertically. You have to place the cursor, however, over the drawing in a certain way in order for it to be dragged.

YR.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 07:24
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Word drawing May 19, 2007

Yngve Roennike wrote:

You have to place the cursor, however, over the drawing in a certain way in order for it to be dragged.

YR.

That is why a rectangle is better. I do not know which version of Word you have, but in 2003 it goes like this:

- go View/Toolbars/Drawing
- select the rectangle shape on the Drawing toolbar
- drag the crosshair cursor in the page area to define the dimensions
- again on the Drawing toolbar, select the "paint pot" dropdown to fill in the colour

Antonin

[Edited at 2007-05-19 05:36]

Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To the point, .... May 19, 2007

Thanks for your explanatory input, Antonin. That is always nice, when millions of other things are coursing through your mind, when translating.

YR

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virtual ruler device sought!

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs