Mobile menu

MS Word 2002 (and other versions): How to get rid of the normal.dot error message?
Thread poster: Wolfgang Jörissen

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
May 21, 2007

Hi there!

Whenever I save a file in Word, an error message appears saying that the normal.dot template is used and whether I want to replace it. It does not do any harm actually, but it is extremely nasty when exporting a multi file Deja Vu X project, where I have to click this message away at each and every file. Hope you can help!

Thanks,
Wolfgang

Direct link Reply with quote

Joshua Wolfe  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:13
French to English
+ ...
normal template has changed is an option you have checked May 21, 2007

I am not sure if the following is the the situation that is bothering you. Word has a feature (which personally I like) that warns you when your standard document template (called normal.dot) is about to change because of some novel formatting in the document you were last working on. Beware that if you disable this, you may be suprised by the appearance of the next blank word document you open since it may be based on someone else's formatting. For example, if the last file you opened was sent by me, it would be set up as Canadian French, 12 point garmond, with 8 pt. page numbering.
If you decide to disable the warning feature, I would suggest BEFOREHAND that you make a copy of normal.dot (call it something like normal09May07.dot ) just in case you don't like the new normal.

Here is how you can turn off the message
1. Drop down menu: Tools; Options
2. Click on Save (it's usually the second-to-last tab on the third row).
3. You will see a box beside the term "Prompt to save normal template"
4. If you uncheck this box, upon exiting Word you won't get the mssage "Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save those changes?

Hope this helps.

David Turner  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:13
French to English
+ ...
Rename or delete Normal.dot May 25, 2007

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:
Whenever I save a file in Word, an error message appears saying that the normal.dot template is used and whether I want to replace it. It does not do any harm actually, but it is extremely nasty when exporting a multi file Deja Vu X project, where I have to click this message away at each and every file. Hope you can help!

With Word closed, just rename or delete Normal.dot (which is usually located in :\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates). Word will generate a new one (based on the default settings) the next time you start it.

Regards,
David Turner

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word 2002 (and other versions): How to get rid of the normal.dot error message?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs