Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:59
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 22, 2007

After I work in a file, I review Grammar and orthography but I am not able to add words to my dictionary.

How can I correct this situation? Thank you, colleagues.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:59
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Right-click cursor on word May 22, 2007

Put the cursor on the word you want to add, right-click it, and a menu comes up including the option "Add", click on that and the word is added to your dictionary.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:59
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
adding words to dictionary May 22, 2007

If you want to add words after you finish the spell-checking, go to Tools ->Options and select the Spelling & Grammar tab. Click on the "Custom Dictionaries" button. Select the one you want (I only have one, called Custom.dic) and then click on "Modify". Type a word in the textbox and then click on Add.

I hope that's what you were asking.
Maria

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Disabled May 22, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

Put the cursor on the word you want to add, right-click it, and a menu comes up including the option "Add", click on that and the word is added to your dictionary.

Hi, Jack, thanks for your kind suggestion. I tried but I have that option disabled, and in my dictionary the "Add" button is disabled too.

I'm using Office 2007.

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
During May 22, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

If you want to add words after you finish the spell-checking, go to Tools ->Options and select the Spelling & Grammar tab. Click on the "Custom Dictionaries" button. Select the one you want (I only have one, called Custom.dic) and then click on "Modify". Type a word in the textbox and then click on Add.

I hope that's what you were asking.
Maria

Very close, Maria, thank you so much. It helped and I did it...but

I tried to do during the spell-checking. I suppose it might has a kind of protection against writing words into the dictionary. In this case, I couldn't add anything.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:59
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
workaround May 22, 2007

OK, tell me if this works:
While you're doing the spell-checking and you see that the "Add to dictionary" button is disabled:
Change the language from the pull-down menu and then change it back to what it was. Now is the button enabled?

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No May 22, 2007

Maria Karra wrote:

OK, tell me if this works:
While you're doing the spell-checking and you see that the "Add to dictionary" button is disabled:
Change the language from the pull-down menu and then change it back to what it was. Now is the button enabled?

It didn'tt work, Maria. I've chcked the dictionary file following its path but, contrary to my initial doubts, it's not protected neither!

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:59
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you see the "custom.dic"? May 23, 2007

Please, let me know if you have it. If you don't, perhaps you should create your own customized dictionary.

(Sorry that Instructions are in Spanish, but MS word is in Spanish)

En el menú Herramientas, haga clic en Opciones y, a continuación, en la ficha Ortografía y gramática.
Haga clic en Diccionarios personalizados.
Haga clic en Nuevo.
En el cuadro Nombre de archivo, escriba un nombre para el diccionario personalizado.
Haga clic en G
... See more
Please, let me know if you have it. If you don't, perhaps you should create your own customized dictionary.

(Sorry that Instructions are in Spanish, but MS word is in Spanish)

En el menú Herramientas, haga clic en Opciones y, a continuación, en la ficha Ortografía y gramática.
Haga clic en Nuevo.
En el cuadro Nombre de archivo, escriba un nombre para el diccionario personalizado.
Haga clic en Guardar.
En el cuadro Lista de diccionarios, seleccione el nuevo diccionario personalizado.
Siga uno de estos procedimientos:
Para utilizar el diccionario al revisar texto en todos los idiomas, haga clic en Modificar y, a continuación, en Todos los idiomas del cuadro Idioma.
Para utilizar el diccionario sólo al corregir texto en otro idioma, seleccione el nombre del diccionario, haga clic en Modificar y, a continuación, haga clic en el idioma en el cuadro Idioma.
Los diccionarios personalizados de distintos idiomas están agrupados por idioma en el cuadro Lista de diccionarios.

To add the customized dictionary:

Si el diccionario personalizado no aparece en el cuadro Diccionarios personalizados, haga clic en Agregar.
Busque la carpeta que contenga el diccionario personalizado que desee. A continuación figuran las ubicaciones predeterminadas de los diccionarios personalizados.
En Microsoft Windows 2000 o posterior

Los diccionarios personalizados se almacenan de manera predeterminada en la carpeta C:\Archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Microsoft Shared\Proof.

En Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition o Microsoft Windows 98

Los diccionarios personalizados se almacenan de manera predeterminada en la carpeta C:\Carpeta_Windows\Datos de programa\Microsoft\Proof o en la carpeta C:\Carpeta_Windows\Perfiles\Usuario\Datos de programa\Microsoft\Proof.

En Microsoft Windows NT 4.0

Los diccionarios personalizados se almacenan de manera predeterminada en la carpeta C:\Carpeta_Windows\Perfiles\Usuario\Datos de programa\Microsoft\Proof.

En el cuadro Nombre de archivo, especifique el nombre del diccionario personalizado que desee agregar y, a continuación, haga clic en Aceptar.
El diccionario personalizado aparece en la lista de diccionarios del cuadro de diálogo Diccionarios personalizados.

Si desea convertir este diccionario en el diccionario personalizado, haga clic en el nombre del diccionario y, a continuación, haga clic en Cambiar predeterminado.

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dictionary May 23, 2007

Hi, Clarisa, thank you very much.

I created the new dictionary and now I have the enabled button "add to Dictionary".

But the old dictionary contained my words, all the words I had added in more than 6 years. Its a *.txt file which weights around 50 KB. This new one is totally new and weights just 1 KB

Is is related to the number of words contanined by a dictionary? maybe it reached a peak
... See more
Hi, Clarisa, thank you very much.

I created the new dictionary and now I have the enabled button "add to Dictionary".

But the old dictionary contained my words, all the words I had added in more than 6 years. Its a *.txt file which weights around 50 KB. This new one is totally new and weights just 1 KB

Is is related to the number of words contanined by a dictionary? maybe it reached a peak.

Thank you so much
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dictionary in Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »