Thread poster: Jan Sundström

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:38
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 30, 2007

Hi all,

I'm looking for any software/plugin/marco that can split up large Word files into smalller *.doc files, like one page each.

The reason is that we got a complex document (headers, footers, track changes, images and other objects, various page formats within one doc).

Somewhere within the doc, TWB chokes and crashes. I'd like to eliminate the problem by re-saving the file into many separate docs, and analysing them one by one.

TIA,

Jan

/Edit: I found this macro that might answer my questions:
http://www.proz.com/post/250260#250260

And another variant from 2002:
http://www.proz.com/post/45388#45388

Since the postings are a bit old, maybe there are more options now? Or is the Sysfilter macro still the way to go?

What I haven't found yet is a macro that merges back the split sections into one doc file again. Is it technically possible to write such a macro in Word, or append the exisiting one?!
I guess it can be done with this shareware, did anyone try it:
http://pcwin.com/Multimedia___Design/PDF_Tools/Monkey_Merge/index.htm

[Edited at 2007-05-30 12:56]

Direct link Reply with quote

Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:38
English to German
+ ...
A sugestion May 30, 2007

Jan Sundström wrote:
What I haven't found yet is a macro that merges back the split sections into one doc file again. Is it technically possible to write such a macro in Word, or append the exisiting one?!

[Edited at 2007-05-30 12:56]

My simplest approach on a very large Word file is to use the Master document - subdocument solution. I. e. you split up the large Word document according a fixed criterium (heading 1 is the most convenient), you edit or translate them and in the end you merge them all together into one large, yet consistent, for style, headings, numbering, that is, master document.

If this sounds stupid to you, I should perhaps explain it step by step, but it would take some time. Therefore I suggest you look the master - subdocument feature in a Word manual up.

You wouldn't need a macro for doing that and it's very simple, trust me.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Splitting up large Word files!?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs