How to extract images from Word files? (And put them back afterwards...)
Thread poster: Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:20
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
May 30, 2007

I remember that there was a topic considering extracting all embedded images from Word files and then putting them back after editing. However, I cannot find it...

Therefore, what is the preferred procedure/macro/tool for that?

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
You can link pictures through INCLUDEPICTURE field codes May 30, 2007

If you don't have many pictures you could simply replace them with INCLUDEPICTURE field codes:

To insert an INCLUDEPICTURE field, point to Picture on the Insert menu, click From File, click the arrow next to the Insert button, and then click Link to File.

You could then enable the display of field codes on the View tab of the Options dialog box to prevent the pictures from being displayed.

Olaf

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
May be this helps May 30, 2007

I actually do not know any macro for that, but if there is really a need for an extraction you can either save the file (a copy of the file of course) as html, where while this process of conversion is running, all images are saved in an separated order as "image001.jpg, image002.jpg", and so on.
The problem is only that pictures will have a low resolution - which is not desired.

A second way is to save/transform the document as a pdf file, if you have a pdf converter, like
... See more
I actually do not know any macro for that, but if there is really a need for an extraction you can either save the file (a copy of the file of course) as html, where while this process of conversion is running, all images are saved in an separated order as "image001.jpg, image002.jpg", and so on.
The problem is only that pictures will have a low resolution - which is not desired.

A second way is to save/transform the document as a pdf file, if you have a pdf converter, like Adobe. Adobe offers a possibility to extract all pictures from a pdf file, it does not even change the names, which is afterwards far more practical as you have less work by renaming all pics back to their original name, considering that the file has to be send back with the original names of the pictures. The good things is - the resolution is kept as in the original file.

There is a third way that is to extract them all one by one and safe them in Photo editor or Picture Publisher. But really, I would not do that, as it is too time extensive.
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Is this the technique? May 30, 2007

Hi Jabberwock,

Perhaps you were thinking of this Trados Workbench procedure to get round the file bloat that afflicts Word files containing embedded images.

To translate texts with images and/or text boxes:

1. Create an empty TM
2. Tools/Analyse the file
3. Export unknown segments (99%) - save as RTF
4. Translate the RTF file (using other TMs if you like)
5. Tools/Cleanup the RTF into the empty TM
6. Tools/Translate the origina
... See more
Hi Jabberwock,

Perhaps you were thinking of this Trados Workbench procedure to get round the file bloat that afflicts Word files containing embedded images.

To translate texts with images and/or text boxes:

1. Create an empty TM
2. Tools/Analyse the file
3. Export unknown segments (99%) - save as RTF
4. Translate the RTF file (using other TMs if you like)
5. Tools/Cleanup the RTF into the empty TM
6. Tools/Translate the original file
7. Clean up into the TM of your choice.

It might be a good idea to print out a copy of the file beforehand, or open it on a second computer/monitor, so that you have an idea of the layout while you're working.

http://www.proz.com/post/354215#354215

HTH

Giles
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
No, it's the images that need editing... May 30, 2007

No, I can deal with the text without problems... It's the images that need editing!

That is why I would like to have something to extract them easily. What is more important, I would like an easy way to get them back into Word files, when I'm done with them...

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Formats? May 30, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:
It's the images that need editing!

I guess a lot will depend on what type / format of images they are, and how you have to edit them.

You could easily create a Word DOC with just the images in simply be deleting the text using search-&-replace, but maybe you can't edit them in a Word doc?

In any case, you've still got to find a way of recombining them with the text afterwards

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
SnagIt? May 30, 2007

Hi again,

Is this the application you were thinking of, then?

http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp

HTH

Giles

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Haven't thought of that... May 30, 2007

Nice tip, Olaf, haven't thought of that...

I can make a macro that will simply substitute the graphics with the code (after I extract them, of course). I have checked several of them and they are inline, so they might even stay where they are...

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Quite simple solution! May 30, 2007

The solution, turns out, was quite simple... I think I will describe it in detail in an article, here comes a short summary:

1. Save the Word document to xml.

2. Extract the images according to the procedure described here:

http://www.tkachenko.com/blog/archives/000195.html

i.e. run the tool nxslt on your xml file with the Word2HTML-.N
... See more
The solution, turns out, was quite simple... I think I will describe it in detail in an article, here comes a short summary:

1. Save the Word document to xml.

2. Extract the images according to the procedure described here:

http://www.tkachenko.com/blog/archives/000195.html

i.e. run the tool nxslt on your xml file with the Word2HTML-.NET-script.xsl.

3. Open the xml file in a text/xml editor and change the picture links from internal to external, e.g.:

v:imagedata src="wordml://03000002.png"

to

v:imagedata src="test_files/03000002.png"

I used regular expression for this, but I suppose just changing

v:imagedata src="wordml://

to

v:imagedata src="test_files/

might work, too...

After that whenever you change the external graphics files, they get updated in the Word (xml) document. I think that for delivery the linked files would have to be embedded, but that is simple to do in Word (Edit/Links).

Of course, if you have a simpler solution for changing internal images into linked images, I would be glad to know...

[Zmieniono 2007-05-30 18:34]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
You might want to look at this message... Jun 4, 2007

... from the Déjà Vu Yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/79618

which links you to some macros you can download from:
... See more
... from the Déjà Vu Yahoo group:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/79618

which links you to some macros you can download from:

http://www.necco.ca/dv/word.htm#Removing_and_inserting_graphics_in_a_file

HTH

Giles
Collapse

freda_fan
freda_fan
English
Mercury Document System Jun 4, 2007

Mercury Document System
more at: http://www.qweas.com/download/business/info_managers/mercury_document_system.htm

It is a personal document management (PDM) / personal knowledge management (PKM) application for Microsoft Windows.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Only the OpenOffice solution might work Jun 4, 2007

Unfortunately, these solutions are for people who want to edit only the text, not the other way round.

Of the three suggestions, only the second one might be used (the first one puts graphics in another Word file, the third one does not deal with graphics at all), as it allows editing the graphics outside of Word.

I will check it out!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to extract images from Word files? (And put them back afterwards...)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »