How do I check spelling in PowerPoint? (How do I set the language for the whole text?)
Thread poster: Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 22:45
German to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 6, 2003

This is the first time I am working with PowerPoint. Now I need to check my translation and I would like to spellcheck the document. First of all, I have to set the language. my text consists of slides and notes. When I try to set the language for the whole text, if I clikc Ctrl+A only the current page (in the notes page) or object (in the slide section) is selected. My document has more than 100 pages, so it would be very inconvenient to have to set the language for each item again. Is there a ... See more
This is the first time I am working with PowerPoint. Now I need to check my translation and I would like to spellcheck the document. First of all, I have to set the language. my text consists of slides and notes. When I try to set the language for the whole text, if I clikc Ctrl+A only the current page (in the notes page) or object (in the slide section) is selected. My document has more than 100 pages, so it would be very inconvenient to have to set the language for each item again. Is there a way to change the language for the whole text at once?

Thanks for any advise.
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hope this helps! Jan 6, 2003

Instead of clicking each slide, try selecting the ENTIRE left column, which has only the text (not the right with the actual slides), and then set the language. The only problem is that if the text is in frames, you have to go through and select the text in each frame to set the language.

It depends on how the PP work was set up originally.

Good luck!

Claudia Tomaschek
Claudia Tomaschek  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Spellchecking in Powerpoint Jan 6, 2003

When you open Powerpoint in Normal view the screen is spitted into two panes, the list view including all text on the left hand side and the presentation view on the right. Place the cursor in the text pane (on the left hand side) and press Ctrl+A. All the text is highlighted. Now select Tools -> Language and the appropriate language. Now spellchecking should work fine.

Cheers

Claudia

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
spell check Jan 6, 2003

PPT allows you to check your spelling any time you want. While you type, for example, and you misspell a word, a green wavy line immediately appears under the word. You can also click on the spellcheck icon, \"ABC\", and this will initiate the spellcheck.

HTH

M

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The trick with the left column worked. Is there a way to select the notes, too? Jan 6, 2003

Thanks a lot for your help. I have managed to activate the spelling checker for the slides. Is there a way to check all the notes, too, or do I have to select them on each page and set the language for each page separately (this is how I am doing it now)?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I check spelling in PowerPoint? (How do I set the language for the whole text?)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »