Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2007

I have an Excel file, where the translated text may not be longer as the source text.
I know how to et up the function for text length, but I don't know how to use this to mark the corresponding to long cell in colour, in order to easily find it.
Using red negative numbers as result for the length function is of course an option, but it is insufficient in long files with a lot of columns.

There must be a quite easy solutin for that, but I did not found out how this can work.

MTIA
Kind regards
Jerzy

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try 'Conditional Formatting' Jun 10, 2007

Hi Jerzy,

If I've understood your problem correctly, 'Conditional Formatting' is what you are looking for. You will find this option in the 'Format' menu. (In case you use a German version of Excel, it's called 'Bedingte Formatierung'.)

You will then get a dialog box in which you can set conditions (depending on the formula you are using, 'Cell Value is greater than =' might be a good option for your case) and choose format (e.g. a cell colour) that will be applied to the cells if the condition is true.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Claudia

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 10, 2007

Indeed it looks like what I was looking for.
Many thanks.

Have a nice Sunday
Jerzy

Henrik Pipoyan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
Member (2004)
English to Armenian
One more way to do it Jun 10, 2007

Hi Jerzy,

In such cases I do the following:

If the original is in column A, and the translation in column B, than in column C I put the following formula:
=IF(LEN(B1)*=LEN(A1),"","Delete "&(LEN(B1)-LEN(A1)&" characters"))

* should be the less sign.(contrary to >). When I use this sign the rest of the text doesn't show up.

If the translated text is shorter or equal to the original, there is nothing in column C, but if it is longer, column C indicates how many characters need to be deleted.

[Edited at 2007-06-10 12:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marking cells in Excel with too long text

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs