Are translations in headers/footers counted?
Thread poster: Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 02:10
English to German
+ ...
Jun 20, 2007

...counted in Word or does one have to copy them down into the main document to get a correct word count?

What about a title in the header that appears on every page does that count as new translation on each page since it is in the header it can hardly be counted as new?

On the other hand, perhaps time to buy a wordcount programme....

...but what if the client doesn't have the same programme, he/she would be puzzled how I arrived at may final word count...
... See more
...counted in Word or does one have to copy them down into the main document to get a correct word count?

What about a title in the header that appears on every page does that count as new translation on each page since it is in the header it can hardly be counted as new?

On the other hand, perhaps time to buy a wordcount programme....

...but what if the client doesn't have the same programme, he/she would be puzzled how I arrived at may final word count....
Collapse

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to English
+ ...
FineCount 2.0 Free Jun 20, 2007

I use FineCount, which does count Header & Footer. As to whether the same H & F on different pages are counted as one or independently, I've not checked that. You can give it a try and let us know.

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Portuguese to English
Recommend FineCount Jun 20, 2007

I recommend FineCount too. Even the free version counts words in all Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and PDFs. It also counts multiple files and also all the worksheets in an Excel doc.

Carlos Montilla
Carlos Montilla
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Answers Jun 20, 2007

No, they're not. You need to copy them in the main document or just select them and use the wordcount tool. If they're repeated in each page, I'd only count them once.

...but what if the client doesn't have the same programme, he/she would be puzzled how I arrived at may final word count....

If wordcounts are different, probably clients would "suggest" using their wordcounts, unless yours are smaller!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Well, one solution would... Jun 20, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:

There is a nifty little macro for MS Word called CompleteWordCount that counts them.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
How important can it be? Jun 20, 2007

Realistically, I've never seen a document where the headers and footers made up even close to 1% of the total word count. If I did encounter such a document, I would discuss it with the client.

Otherwise, don't sweat the small stuff, life is too short.

Terry.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Like Terry said... Jun 21, 2007

Terry Richards wrote:
Otherwise, don't sweat the small stuff, life is too short.

In any case, the word count in headers / footers is usually so small, the quickest way is just to count them by hand!

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Counting in MS Word Jun 21, 2007

It's not just the headers and footers that Word is blind to.
It does not see text boxes either - and in some of the Word files I have had to deal with, most of the text is in boxes.

So I would support the suggestion to use an external word/character counting program. My preferred flavour is PractiCount, and for some jobs I use DVX (usually when only part of a text is to be translated). But I am always suspicious of any count in Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are translations in headers/footers counted?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »