Why can\'t I find my .dot files?
Thread poster: Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 04:04
French to English
Jan 16, 2003

I am using Windows XP/Word 2000. I have saved some templates as .dot files. When I click on \"save as\" then choose .dot as the type of document, I can see all of the other .dots in that folder when I save a new one. However, when I go to \"open\" and choose .dot, or even \"all types\" I can\'t see my .dot files, only my .doc files. I know they are there somewhere, but I can\'t open them!! There seems to be a \"template\" folder inside the folder I created but it only shows up when I do \"save a... See more
I am using Windows XP/Word 2000. I have saved some templates as .dot files. When I click on \"save as\" then choose .dot as the type of document, I can see all of the other .dots in that folder when I save a new one. However, when I go to \"open\" and choose .dot, or even \"all types\" I can\'t see my .dot files, only my .doc files. I know they are there somewhere, but I can\'t open them!! There seems to be a \"template\" folder inside the folder I created but it only shows up when I do \"save as\" and not \"open.\" I did not create the \"template\" file. Can anyone help me with this?
[addsig]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Probably the default templates folder Jan 16, 2003

Hi Sara,

MS Office creates a default folder for templates; the exact path depends on the language version, and on any customised details you may have provided during installation.

When you try to save a .dot template, you can use the \"save as\" dialogue to check the path: just open the drop-down list where you\'re being shown the \"Templates\" folder.

The default folder should be \"[drive]:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Templates\" - this
... See more
Hi Sara,

MS Office creates a default folder for templates; the exact path depends on the language version, and on any customised details you may have provided during installation.

When you try to save a .dot template, you can use the \"save as\" dialogue to check the path: just open the drop-down list where you\'re being shown the \"Templates\" folder.

The default folder should be \"[drive]:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Templates\" - this option is changeable under \"Tools - Options\".
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks..but I see that I have "templates" and "modèles" Jan 16, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-16 08:45, Lemster wrote:

Hi Sara,

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-16 08:45, Lemster wrote:

Hi Sara,

The default folder should be \"[drive]:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Templates\" - this option is changeable under \"Tools - Options\".

Yes, I found those files. They contain the sample templates. I think my situation is further complicated by the fact that I have French XP and later installed American MS office. I can find \"templates\" thanks to you, but there is the French version of the default templates file called \"modeles\" which is where my files are...I will keep on looking!!
[addsig] ▲ Collapse

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try Search on your computer Jan 16, 2003

Try a Search [Start, Search, Find Files or Folders] on your system. Enter [*.dot] in the search line and hit Enter. The search process will display all DOT-Files on your system. You may then decide what files are useful to you.

Carsten

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Copy all Templates and Modelles in one folder Jan 16, 2003

As you stated, you installed US Office over a french version of the same. Even if I do not understand why it was necessary, as any Office vesion contains spell checking for English, but nevertheless:

Regarding to your informations you were able to locate your template folder and to set it as template folder in Word (as Ralf described). Now locate all your Modelles (i assume they are your french templates) and copy all of them to the folder containing Templates and set in Wor
... See more
As you stated, you installed US Office over a french version of the same. Even if I do not understand why it was necessary, as any Office vesion contains spell checking for English, but nevertheless:

Regarding to your informations you were able to locate your template folder and to set it as template folder in Word (as Ralf described). Now locate all your Modelles (i assume they are your french templates) and copy all of them to the folder containing Templates and set in Word. After that you should be able to see them all.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:04
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Find them & possibly relocate them in Word 2000 Jan 16, 2003

I think I am only elaborating a bit on what Ralf said, but in Word 2000, go to Tools > Options > File Locations. This should tell you where \"User Templates\" (i.e. the ones created by you) are located. If this location is not convenient, you can create a new folder somewhere more convenient, highlight \"User Templates\", click on \"Modify\" and enter the location of your new folder.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can\'t I find my .dot files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »