Changing the name of attached documents
Thread poster: TRADL

TRADL
France
Local time: 10:10
English to French
+ ...
Jul 6, 2007

Something weird's happening with Outlook Express and Word. 3 times now I've received a Word attachment from clients and its name's not what it's supposed to be. It appears as ATT and then a bunch of numbers and when I drag it onto the desktop, the number changes as well (to one further, e.g. 000415 and then 000416). Any idea why?? I have Office XP and Outlook Express 6.0. Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
could be a different story, but probably the same Jul 7, 2007

Something weird's happening with Outlook Express

I have a business partner whoŽs been using Outlook and for quite som etime was not receiving ANY attachment I was sending him via (Lotus Notes) mail.

Things cleared up, when he switched to Firebird (it was painless, even for my ten-thumbs partner).

Could be, that theres some miraculous switch somewhere in the Outlook setup causing (and solving) this kind of problems; I cant tell though.

[Edited at 2007-07-07 00:48]

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
German to French
Thunderbird ? Jul 7, 2007

Hi Audrey,

Read this (in French) :
http://www.geckozone.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36493&highlight=att%20dat

Maybe your client is using Thunderbird as e-mail client ?

HTH,
Sylvain

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Direct link in English Jul 7, 2007

In case it's any help, following Sylvain's FR forum eventually takes you to this link, which describes the porblem and solution in English:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Attachments_renamed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the name of attached documents

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs