Thread poster: Peter Bagney
Peter Bagney
Peter Bagney  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 22, 2003

I am translating a thesis, whose author has decided to make, in addition to the usual index of contents, another index with subjects and authors. This second index is logically enough in the original language at first, but one would imagine that as one overwrites the original into the target, the words in that index should change (if not at first, then when one does an F9 on top - just as happens with the main index of contents). However, this does not happen, and the words in the subject index ... See more
I am translating a thesis, whose author has decided to make, in addition to the usual index of contents, another index with subjects and authors. This second index is logically enough in the original language at first, but one would imagine that as one overwrites the original into the target, the words in that index should change (if not at first, then when one does an F9 on top - just as happens with the main index of contents). However, this does not happen, and the words in the subject index continue to appear in the original language, even though such language is nowhere to be seen in the document anymore.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Worse yet, if one activates the hidden text option and with it activated, manages to change the index into the target language, when disactivating the option, the index remains in the target (wonderful, one thinks,) but lo and behold, the words in the main text have been translated back into the original (where it gets them from, is anyone\'s guess.)

PLS HELP!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Take look on the field functions inserted there Jan 22, 2003

It seems to me, that the autor has inserted field functions there. If you right click on such word and then tell \"show/hide field functions\", Word should show you where the words come from. Perhaps there is a second file/table in the backgroud, where Word is getting those entries.

But without seeing this file I cannot help more - it is the same as doctor diagnostics by wire...

Feel free to contact me privately, if you need additional information to the
... See more
It seems to me, that the autor has inserted field functions there. If you right click on such word and then tell \"show/hide field functions\", Word should show you where the words come from. Perhaps there is a second file/table in the backgroud, where Word is getting those entries.

But without seeing this file I cannot help more - it is the same as doctor diagnostics by wire...

Feel free to contact me privately, if you need additional information to the above.

Best

Jerzy
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
LaTex software? Jan 22, 2003

Hi Peter,

I expect your customer has been using a program called LaTex to generate his index. You can ask him/her , and if this is so, you may need the source text besides the document given to you, or the LaTex program may be enough too. I hope (s)he hasn\'t been using a commercial program... this would make things more difficult for you.

As far as I know LateX can be downloaded (free) in shareware from:
... See more
Hi Peter,

I expect your customer has been using a program called LaTex to generate his index. You can ask him/her , and if this is so, you may need the source text besides the document given to you, or the LaTex program may be enough too. I hope (s)he hasn\'t been using a commercial program... this would make things more difficult for you.

As far as I know LateX can be downloaded (free) in shareware from: ftp://ftp.rediris.es/mirror/tex-archive (Spain)

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/tex/ctan (America)

For more info on this program (in Spanish) you can read:http://br.crashed.net/~drini/archive/tex/docs/FAQ-CervanTeX.pdf

HTH
Collapse

Nikolai Muraviev
Nikolai Muraviev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Translate index fields! Feb 27, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-22 12:09, JCzopik wrote:

I\'m afraid, Jerzy is right and you need just to translate index fiel... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-22 12:09, JCzopik wrote:

I\'m afraid, Jerzy is right and you need just to translate index fields.

Tip: when translating _any_ text, make all characters visible (use special option in Settings). It allowes you to avoid many problems with formatting/automation of document.

Good luck!

Nick

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems in translation of MS Word-generated index to thesis

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »