Mobile menu

Mergefields in Word: How do I 'freeze' the values?
Thread poster: Peter Adolph

Peter Adolph
Local time: 18:27
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2007

A client has sent me a Word doc with many mergefields in it. Trados cannot process this file, and I think the problem might be the mergefields (in the past I've even seen that when Trados decided to process similar files, the mergefields didn't appear in the source segment ...).

Does anyone know if it is possible to 'freeze' the values, thus deleting/removing the codes from Word?

If not, I will have to replace the merged data with the plain text, but that is just a very time-consuming task I would be only too happy to avoid.

Thanks in advance!
Peter

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Fields to text Jul 19, 2007

Select all the text, then press Shift+Ctrl+F9. This should turn all the codes into text.

Peter Adolph
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks ... Jul 19, 2007

I just discovered that function prior to your answer. The problem was (earlier) that this function didn't work on the original file, but I discovered that when I selected all the text, copied it into a new Word doc and then did the CTRL+SHIFT+F9, then all codes disappeared.

Doing this also removes the automatic index (leaving the index frozen), but that issue is easily solved by deleting the frozen one and inserting a new index.

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mergefields in Word: How do I 'freeze' the values?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs