ProZ.com global directory of translation services
 The translation workplace
Ideas

User
Thread poster: Argentine Translator
How to convert images into text in a Word file?

Argentine Translator
Argentina
Local time: 08:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 23, 2007

I received a PDF file to translate. I´ve got sb to convert it into a Word file. But now I have a collection of images within a Word file, which I cannot modify. Does anybody know how to convert these images into text? I have Windows 98 and Word 2000. Thanks for your assistance and regards. Ines.

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:57
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Ines Jul 23, 2007

Please take a look at this article:
http://www.proz.com/ar?url_id=article&source=profile&id=128

Please also make a search of the forums: the problem of converting PDF files ito text has been discussed many many times.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Images to text Jul 24, 2007

Hello Inés,

I am not an expert, but you can use some software like Microsoft Paint (go to Inicio, Accesorios, Paint) to modify the text within the images. It will take some time to master it though.

Maybe you can outsource the work to somebody else and charge the customer for it.

Good luck,

Andrés

Carvallo
Mexico
Local time: 06:57
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
http://www.proz.com/post/377890#377890 Jul 24, 2007

On my reply to that forum, you can see how to do it.

If you need any help, I'll be around!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:57
English to German
+ ...
You don't have to. Jul 24, 2007

You are not helping the graphic designer / typesetter / web-designer by converting the pic into a different format. On the contrary, you might create extra-work by doing so. The designer has to copy the translation into a ready-to-print, high-resolution document anyway. Any efforts in regard to rebuilding pics are simply a waste of time.

You can either place little notes that contain your translation into the PDF (Tools -> Note, click on the appropriate line and start typing) or simply write up a little file:
[Source text] = [translation]

It doesn't make sense to recreate a great looking document that can't be used on the press or online anyway. The words will be extracted, the rest ends up in the trash. If the client would want you to update the pics, they would have sent you native files, never a PDF.

Dung Bui
Japan
Local time: 20:57
Japanese to Vietnamese
+ ...
Readiris Jul 24, 2007

HI!
I think u can use readiris program to convert the image PDF file into the editable file.
More info here: www.irislink.com

It's very useful with latin words in image.

Hope it can be helpful for u!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hire a typist Jul 24, 2007

argentranslator wrote:
Does anybody know how to convert these images into text? I have Windows 98 and Word 2000.

I recently had a couple of such images inside MS Word documents, totalling about 10 000 words, that I needed within the week. My OCR is good, but the text quality wasn't good enough for OCR. So I hired a typist. She typed the text for me within two days.

The next question would be a rate question. I paid her about 10% of my per-word translation rate, with a "word" of typing being defined as 5 keystrokes.

Some typists from whom I got quotes quoted as high as 40% of my translation rate, though. Shop around. Typists type 90-110 words per minute (450-550 keystrokes per minute). I only had to ask a question on my local editors' forum, and within hours I had several offers and references.

A better OCR program would have cost me 6 times as much as I had paid her, so it's all a matter of deciding whether a better OCR program is a worthwhile investment (if you have the cash flow).

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:57
Member (2009)
English to Khmer
OCR or irislink ... Really Good Idea! Jul 30, 2007

Fully agree with an idea to look at http://www.irislink.com. To save time it may be go straight to http://www.irislink.com/c2-480/Readiris-Pro-11-OCR-software.aspx?gclid=CIeC4OSszo0CFRsPTAodQG-1GQ. Also thank you!

zobni
you can convert pdf or image to text or word file Nov 3, 2011

freewaregenius [dot] com/?p=10095

http://www.freewaregenius.com/2011/11/01/how-to-extract-text-from-images-a-comparison-of-free-ocr-tools/

[Edited at 2011-11-03 12:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert images into text in a Word file?

Across Personal Edition – Free Full Version for Freelance Translators
Across is an integrated CAT tool, which means that you will find everything you need in one place.

Freelance translators receive a full version of Across Personal Edition, a single-workstation version of Across, for free. You are always working in one and the same environment, regardless of whether you create a new project or translate a document

More info »
Fluency Translation Suite
Come see the Fluency Difference and SAVE

The most affordable and easy to learn translation tool! Start and finish your translations faster than ever with Fluency Translation Suite 2013. TMs, Terminology, and Online Resources are fully integrated and only a click away. Download a free trial today

More info »