Thread poster: Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:47
Dutch to French
+ ...
Aug 13, 2007

Hi everybody

Last year I created an invoice and found a way to embed an Excel sheet into my Word invoice.

This morning I wanted to do some invoicing and I can now only see EMBED Excel.sheet instead of the Excel sheet itself... Last time I used the invoice, all was well.
I tried to make a new one but I don't remember how I did this last year and I just can't get it right this time.

Does anybody know how I can make the sheet appear on my Word invoice ?

Tks in advance
Elisabeth

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Check Word's View settings Aug 13, 2007

In the upper right hand corner of the dialog that appears when you click Tools | Options, there is a setting that controls the display of field functions.

When this is checked, Word will cease to display embedded objects. Simply revert the setting to see them again.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2007-08-13 14:00]

France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could you be more clear pls ? Aug 13, 2007

tectranslate wrote:

In the upper right hand corner of the dialog that appears when you click Tools | Options, there is a setting that controls the display of field functions.

When this is checked, Word will cease to display embedded objects. Simply revert the setting to see them again.

HTH,
Benjamin

Hi Benjamin

When I go to Tools>Options, I have the Display tab but nothing about display of fields... and this tab is on the far right side

When I open the Display tab, there is "Field codes" with Fields with grid and a menu Never, Always and Upon selection (or something like that, I have a French Office)

I use Office XP

Tks
Elisabeth

France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and this is the result... Aug 13, 2007

When I go to Tools>Options, I have the Display tab but nothing about display of fields... and this tab is on the far right side

When I open the Display tab, there is "Field codes" with Fields with grid and a menu Never, Always and Upon selection (or something like that, I have a French Office)

I use Office XP

I've played around a little with these 3 menu items (never, always and upon selection). When I uncheck the box Field codes, the EMBED mention disappears but it leaves me with just a delimited frame. When I click inside this frame, the Excel sheet is visible but asa I click outside of it, it disappears and leaves me with the empty frame...

I've tried all kinds of combinations, to no avail

Elisabeth

P.S. Other thing since I started changing the options ... my header has disappeared as well (company name etc...) All I have left is empty frames, address, N° and date of invoice, which are outside the Excel sheet and Word heading...

[Modifié le 2007-08-13 14:31]

Just tried Print view, everything is there, the header and the excel sheet....

[Modifié le 2007-08-13 14:37]

[Modifié le 2007-08-13 17:02]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Field codes Aug 13, 2007

Field codes is right. If the table still doesn't appear, try clicking on the empty frame and pressing F9. Lastly, check the "Placeholders for graphics" setting at the bottom of the tab (must be OFF).

B

France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeeeeeees ! Aug 13, 2007

tectranslate wrote:

Field codes is right. If the table still doesn't appear, try clicking on the empty frame and pressing F9. Lastly, check the "Placeholders for graphics" setting at the bottom of the tab (must be OFF).

B

Tks a lot B, F9 didn't do the trick but placeholder for graphics did...
You just saved my invoicing (and my hair)

Elisabeth

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
invoicing software Aug 13, 2007

Dear Elisabeth,

I used to use Excel and Word until I switched over to a proper invoicing solution. I would highly recommend doing the same--the sooner the better!

You could look into some French accounting suites if you're based in France. Otherwise, I would recommend Projetex or T3000 depending on your needs. Both of them are invoicing solutions tailored to the needs of translators.

I'll be running at a session at the ProZ regional conference in France about my slow evolution towards a better, faster way of managing my clients, projects, quotes, and invoices: http://www.proz.com/conference/12?page=schedule&mode=details&session_id=914

Hope to see you there!

John

France
Dutch to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea ... Aug 13, 2007

John Di Rico wrote:

Dear Elisabeth,

I used to use Excel and Word until I switched over to a proper invoicing solution. I would highly recommend doing the same--the sooner the better!

You could look into some French accounting suites if you're based in France.
John

Hi John

Yes I'm based in France. As I have taken a week off, I'll look into this right away. However, I need it to be very intuitive, I hate complicated programmes that take hours just getting the feel of them.

As for the proz conference, sorry, too far for me... Also, I have too much work already so learning how to get more customers is really not for me

Elisabeth

[Modifié le 2007-08-13 17:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EMBED Excel.Sheet

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs