Wordcount in Power Point, Office 2003
Thread poster: Martin Wenzel

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 09:56
English to German
+ ...
Aug 21, 2007

Dear colleagues, I know this has been asked before...I searched the forums by the above headline and by "wordcount powerpoint" and I get tons of unrelated fuzzy information, I simply don't want to scan through...

The search function could really be improved...

I have counted the file in FineReader, but would like my wordcount to be confirmed by the counting function from within powerpoint. I know this can be done from within powerpoint: How?

Also, as far as translation is concerned, how much should I add (percentagewise) compared with a word document since powerpoint files are more time-consuming...

Direct link Reply with quote

Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:56
French to English
+ ...
Wordcount Aug 21, 2007

Hi Martin,

You can get the wordcount from File>Properties and then the statistics tab in the pop-up window that appears.

As for the supplement for working in PowerPoint, I don't know as I don't apply a surcharge.

Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Statistics do not show everything Aug 21, 2007

for example text fields are skipped. I quite recently started using a CAT (DVX) both for translation and for wordcount, it counts the text fields and notes below slides.
When you use a CAT it should be a bit less time-consuming, but when I had to add text fields above graphics I charged per time unit, the same thing when changing tables in JPG to text tables or translating embedded Excel tables that had to be resized.

Piotr

Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Anycount Aug 21, 2007

I rely on AnyCount - free to download from the web.

Nathalie Elson  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
powerpoint2doc Aug 21, 2007

I use this program which exports your powerpoint text to a word document. You can then count the words/do your translation etc...

http://ginstrom.com/software/powerpoint2doc/

See this forum discussion for more info :
http://www.proz.com/post/602474#602474

Hope this helps!

Nath

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use Trados Aug 30, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:
I have counted the file in FineReader, but would like my wordcount to be confirmed by the counting function from within powerpoint. I know this can be done from within powerpoint: How?

Also, as far as translation is concerned, how much should I add (percentagewise) compared with a word document since powerpoint files are more time-consuming...

I wouldn't use Finereader for PPT files, it sounds like a very roundabout way.

Trados 6.5 and above has excellent support for PPT. If you don't want to spend money, just download the trial for free, and use it for wordcount!

Regarding surcharge, when we handle PPT in Trados TagEditor, there's virtually no difference compared to working with Word or any other basic format, so I'd balk if a translator would charge more for the actual translation!

BUT: there will always be post-formatting, which is a different ballgame alltogether. Of course the translator should charge by the hour if you're expected to do that part.

Since the amount of post-formatting is directly dependent on the language pair, and dependent on how much space the creator left for overflow, there's no hard-and-fast rule!

When we do Swedish>Finnish, there's at least 10% overflow, but in the opposite direction there's hardly anything at all.

Some clients even prefer to do the post-formatting themselves. Should the font size be shrunk, should we abbreviate or simply truncate the information? It's not easy to know! That's why I prefer the client to take care fo that part, unless they give detailed instructions.

Good luck,

jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount in Power Point, Office 2003

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs