Outlook 2000 file size information differs!
Thread poster: Patricia Lane

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:49
French to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2007

Hello techies,

As my Outlook personal folder file was edging towards that mystical disaster point (the 2 Gb limit), I trimmed everything down.

When I go look at the folder size on the Personal Folder (right click properties, folder size), I am down to 1.4, which is good.

When I look on the HD at the space used by that file, it says 2.02

That's a huge difference!

Anyone have a clue why? And which number is the one to watch out for??

Thanks

Patricia

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Outlook 2000 has never been a perfect product Sep 19, 2007

It is well known for producing huge files, occupying memory even after shutting down, slow opening etc. etc.
Moreover, it was the preferred entry door to the system for hackers of all kind.
So the best thing you can can do is to stop using Outlook 2000.
Using it as a mail client is like inviting hackers to take control over your computer.

Regards

Andrzej

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but Sep 19, 2007

Thanks for replying and for the advice, Andrzej, but that does not answer the question.

Patricia

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Compact the PST file Sep 20, 2007

Open Outlook, right-click on personal folders, click on Properties, in the dialogue click on "Advanced", then click "Compact folders"

1. This is for Outlook 2007/2003 - The location of the "Compact" command may be diferent in 2000, but it is definitely there somewhere.
2. I have the Polish version of the program, so some of the commands may differ slightly.

The compacting may make a lot of difference and may also take quite some time, depending on your CPU (maybe 15 minutes?)

Order your incoming and outgoing emails by size (largest at the top) and look for all the funny pictures and movies you received or sent but missed when trimming your file - almost certain you will find some.

Consider archiving some emails. My Outlook file is about 5 years old (but only about 800 MB) and I see I never check emails older than a year or two. Even if you do need them, you can always search the archived file.

Andrzej's comment still stands...
As much as Office 2000 was a good product, 2003 is much better in terms of stability etc. Office 2007 is another story.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 20, 2007

Thank you Pawel.

What's the scoop on Outlook 2007 or XP?

Patricia

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Some partial answers Sep 20, 2007

about file size differences:

1)space-counting method

Manufacturer's method (the officially "true" one):
1byte (B)=8 bits (2^3)
1kbyte (KB)= 1000 bytes
1MB = 10^6 bytes
1GB = 10^9 bytes
Windows' method (binary representation)
1 byte = 8 bits (at least this one is the same)
1 KB = 1024 bytes (2^10) CONVENTIONNALLY written as 1KB
1 MB = 1024x1024 bytes (2^20) CONVENTIONNALLY written as 1MB, BUT = 1,048,576 bytes, different from 10^6
1GB = 1024^3 bytes (2^30) CONVENTIONNALLY written as 1MB, BUT = 1,073,741,824 bytes, different from 10^9.

So 1.4 GB according to Windows is 1.5 GB according to a HD manufacturer.

A recent EN>FR question in Kudoz addressed the issue(http://fra.proz.com/kudoz/2123795).

2) how data is stored in HD clusters:

The HD is split into clusters of 16/32/64KB (according to partition settings) and a file of 100 bytes will have a footprint of 16/32/64KB on the HD. Maybe one of your values takes into account the actual size and the other its size on the HD.
TO illustrate this, if you right-click Properties on your Outlook file, you will have 2 values, one its actual data size, the other the footprint on the HD.

Anyway, so far the best way to trim down the pst folder I found is to strip incoming attachments with an add-in from Sperry Software (Attachment Save). You end up with only one stored version of the incoming file and only a link in the message to that file. Gorgeous.

I think Office 2003 no longer has these .pst space limitations and outlook forlder management is much improved.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Scoop? Sep 20, 2007

If you are asking about what the "XP" and "2007" versions of MS Office are like - I have used Office XP for only a short time, but 2003 is an improved product, so there is no point looking for Office XP (if at all available).

Office 2007 is another thing altogether. I have been "blessed" with this software at work and am very unhappy.
It's fine in terms of stability and operation, but the layout is a total mess. It's a really long story, but I am really unhappy.

P.A.S.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
goodness.. Sep 20, 2007

Thank you both for all that info!
Philippe, that add-on sounds great, I think I'll go buy it soon
And an upgrade to Outlook 2003 sounds in order as well....

-- Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook 2000 file size information differs!

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs